[net.space] reliability

Dale.Amon%CMU-RI-FAS@sri-unix.UUCP (07/25/84)

My point is that when people are on board, and if the part does not
have immediate life safety implications, the crew can fix or bypass the
problem, thus making it a nonproblem. The reliability levels need be no
higher than those on a Boeing 747, with the exception of components
critical to boost phase or control of reentry angle. Those parts need
to be of a similar reliability to autopilots and navigation systems
rated for blind landing in 0-0 weather by an airliner with 400+ lives
at stake. I am not talking about autonomous ten year probes: there lies
an entirely different set of engineeering constraints.