[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] News program for PCs

iwarner@axion.bt.co.uk (Ivan Warner) (03/15/90)

	Does anybody know of a News program - such as vn, that will run on PCs.
I'd appreciate any information on attempts (successful or otherwise) at
porting News software to a PC; or on the availability of the software itself.

	Thanks

	Ivan Warner
	British Telecom Research Labs
	Ipswich
	UK

ash@mlacus.oz (Ash Nallawalla) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar15.100735.15648@axion.bt.co.uk>, iwarner@axion.bt.co.uk (Ivan Warner) writes:

> 	Does anybody know of a News program - such as vn, that will run on PCs.
> I'd appreciate any information on attempts (successful or otherwise) at
> porting News software to a PC; or on the availability of the software itself.

If you mean B news C news rn etc I can't help you. If you mean a news reader
that runs under MS-DOS then I can recommend Waffle BBS (WAF161.ARC) available
from SIMTEL20 or via a list server. (Caution - mine came in 14 parts in no
particular order, and four came a week after the first burst!)

Waffle is still a beta release, but if you don't wish to run it in BBS mode
then it will be good enough for you.  I have tested its UUCP suite, and that
works for simple file and message transfers. I am about to test a news feed
next week. I have manually loaded some articles, and the reader works,
although it is not as pretty as nn, vnews rn etc. It distinguishes between
local and USENET postings, so you can set up a warning message to display
when one is about to post to a USENET group.  I have tested Waffle on two
XTs and one 386.  By the way, it also provides a mailer that I have tested
successfully over a uucp connection.

The bits that haven't been implemented are a cron facility,( so you'd need
to get a news feed site to call your machine), varying levels of privileges,
and some other things.  It is written to run under Xenix/Unix etc as well, so
the DOS version does not use colour, ANSI graphics etc.

Ash Nallawalla        Tel: +61 3 823-1959  Fax: +61 3 820-1434
ZL4LM/VK3CIT          Postal: P.O. Box 539, Werribee VIC 3030, Australia.