[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] European Modem Standards --- Hayes?

yon@apollo.HP.COM (David Yon) (03/23/90)

Hey out there modem hackers, I've got a question.  I'm looking to get a
friend of mine who lives in Italy onto CompuServe or similar modem
service so that we can email.  She has an IBM PS/2 Model 30, and a modem
which I don't recognize the brand name.  When I visited this summer
the docs were of course all in Italian.  Between me not knowing Italian,
and her not knowing computerese, it wasn't all that helpful.

What I'd like to know is, has the Hayes "AT" command set dominated the
European PC modem market like it has in the U.S.?  I ask this because I
know that the phone systems over there are very different animals, so
much that I don't beleive that a U.S. modem will work on their lines.
I'd like to think that I can just have her get Procomm or something,
and It Will All Just Work(tm).  If it's not a Hayes compatible, then
of course we're hosed.  I'd like to have some clue about this before
I start her on a rat race, with me sending test floppies every two weeks
until we finally figure out what's going on.  (ever try to be a system
administrator from 4000 miles away??? yuck)

Anyone have any insight into this?  Any help appreciated.

David Yon

alawlor@dit.ie (Aengus Lawlor) (03/26/90)

In article <4959d33b.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, yon@apollo.HP.COM (David Yon) writes:
> What I'd like to know is, has the Hayes "AT" command set dominated the
> European PC modem market like it has in the U.S.?  I ask this because I
> know that the phone systems over there are very different animals, so
> much that I don't beleive that a U.S. modem will work on their lines.
US telephone equipment uses a make/break ratio of 39/61 %. That ratio is 33/37
% in some parts of Europe. This effects pulse dialing.
A lot (most?) of modems available in Ireland and the UK support the AT command
set. I can't say what the situation in Italy might be. The fact that there was
no English language docs might indicate an Italian "standard".
I have two different card modems that I bought in the US, and they work fine
here, when the jumpers are set to CCITT mode. (ie V standards.) 1200 and 2400
baud work fine, but 300 is out. (big deal)

--
Aengus Lawlor    Dept of Computer Science.           Time flies like an arrow,
ALAWLOR@DIT.IE   Dublin Institute of Technology.     Fruit-flies like a banana