[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Re^2: Best C Compiler

s64421@zeus.irc.usq.oz (house ron) (03/28/90)

consp21@bingsuni.cc.binghamton.edu (Ken Hoover) writes:

>  For me, Power C is perfect.  If I find that it ever can't do what I
>need it to do, I may switch; but if they keep me notified of upgrades
>and keep building on their excellent start, I'll stick with them and
>keep chuckling at those people who shelled out a lot more to get the
>same results.

Yes, I like Power C too.  Unfortunately it *didn't* do everything I wanted,
and I am now trying TOPSPEED C.  Specifically, I wanted large memory models
and compatibility with Microsoft.  I also found that Power C is not as fast
with its code as it's cracked up to be.  Yes, it compiles good benchmarks,
but average programs seem to come out slower, which leads me to suspect
that the standard benchmarks are specifically optimised.  I set Power C as
the 'textbook' for a C programming unit at our Uni, and that was where my
trouble started.  When some of the shipments did not arrive, our bookshop
tried every way known to man to contact that mob, but just could not get a
reply out of them.  And orders of hundreds of copies were involved, not just
one!  It makes me wonder what chance a buyer of one copy would have of
getting any sort of support out of them.  But then, at that price, what can
you expect?

I like the look of Topspeed, at first glance.  It has various extra memory
models and more ways to specify address segments than the rest, and it has a
very good imitation of both MS and Turbo libraries plus multitasking.
When I have more experience with it I will post again.

Regards,

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.irc.usq.oz.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)