[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Best C Compiler

gaborit@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Laurent Gaborit) (03/15/90)

"Hello world\n"

I am going to purchase a C compiler that should allow me to do
heavy programming and large programs (~ 3000 - 10000 lines)

Can you share your experience and give me drawbacks and advantages of
the well-known : Borland Turbo C, Microsoft C5.1 or Quick C, Zortech C++,
and other beasts...

						Thanks
							Laurent

flo@floenz1.UUCP (Florian Reichl) (03/16/90)

Turbo is used by a lot of kids and freaks.
MSC is used by a lot of conservative professionals who need a reliable
	workhorse.
JPI TopSpeed C is an exciting new product, faster than the others
	in this list, producing very tight code (up to 40% less than MSC)
Zortech seem to be the C++ choice at the moment.

But all this is almost religious and harder than choosing a car.
I am by the way driving Volkswagen and running MSC and TSC.

Looking forward for flames
	with best greetings from Bavaria	-- Florian

ccstb@bath.ac.uk (T Barry) (03/16/90)

Try TopSpeed C.

brothers@jetsun.WEITEK.COM (bill brothers) (03/17/90)

In article <1722@geocub.greco-prog.fr> gaborit@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Laurent Gaborit) writes:

>I am going to purchase a C compiler that should allow me to do
>heavy programming and large programs (~ 3000 - 10000 lines)
>Can you share your experience and give me drawbacks and advantages of
>the well-known : Borland Turbo C, Microsoft C5.1 or Quick C, Zortech C++,
>and other beasts...

I would seriously check out a professional grade programming environment
such as Metaware... Also keep in mind that most folks will be migrating
to ANSI pseudo-standards. I use TurboC for most of my quicky "generate
a quick pgm" stuff, but use Metaware or Microway for anything that is
going to a customer.

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (03/20/90)

I have Turbo C and MSC Both. In trying to determine which one builds the
tighter code, I compiled MicroEMACS 3.10 (Beta) under MSC. I used the maximum
optimizations on both. MSC Failed with an internal compiler error. Without
optimizations, it compiled and linked, but, alas, Emacs would crash. The
Turbo C compiled version works fine. I have been using it as my editor at work
for over a year. The Turbo C version was also 10K smaller. I don't know if
MicroEMACS is really a good benchmark, but it's big and is supported by
a variety of compilers on various platforms.

BTW - I used TC 2.0 and MSC 5.1

Steve

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar19.175316.16898@Octopus.COM> stever@octopus.UUCP (Steve Resnick ) writes:
>I have Turbo C and MSC Both. In trying to determine which one builds the
>tighter code, I compiled MicroEMACS 3.10 (Beta) under MSC. I used the maximum
>optimizations on both. MSC Failed with an internal compiler error. Without
>optimizations, it compiled and linked, but, alas, Emacs would crash. The
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Turbo C compiled version works fine. I have been using it as my editor at work
>for over a year. The Turbo C version was also 10K smaller. I don't know if
>MicroEMACS is really a good benchmark, but it's big and is supported by
>a variety of compilers on various platforms.
>
>BTW - I used TC 2.0 and MSC 5.1

I can't imagine what you did, I compiled 3.10 with MSC 5.1, no internal errors,
it created an 88102 byte executable that doesn't crash at all.  It even uses my
mouse.
kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (03/20/90)

In article <1264@doitcr.doit.sub.org> flo@floenz1.doit.sub.org (Florian Reichl) writes:
<JPI TopSpeed C is an exciting new product, faster than the others
<	in this list, producing very tight code (up to 40% less than MSC)

In what contrived example is this true? Extravagent claims like 40% less
need to be substantiated.

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar19.175316.16898@Octopus.COM> stever@octopus.UUCP (Steve Resnick ) writes:
>I have Turbo C and MSC Both. In trying to determine which one builds the
>tighter code, I compiled MicroEMACS 3.10 (Beta) under MSC. I used the maximum
>optimizations on both. MSC Failed with an internal compiler error. Without
>optimizations, it compiled and linked, but, alas, Emacs would crash. The
>Turbo C compiled version works fine. I have been using it as my editor at work
>for over a year. The Turbo C version was also 10K smaller. I don't know if
>MicroEMACS is really a good benchmark, but it's big and is supported by
>a variety of compilers on various platforms.

I've had this problem with a different version of pc emacs (the original
gosling emacs).  MSC 5.1 barfed and turbo C worked after some work (it was
originally written for lattice C and MSC 4.0).

Try Zortech C.  It makes better code than turbo C but does less dangerous
optimizations than MSC does.  The code it makes is very clean - it does just
what you'd expect an optimizing compiler to do.  The only wierdness is the
way it handles postincrement (and this weirdness is not incorrect.. it's just
weird and slightly slower).

Now only if it had pseudoregisters...

Also the Zortech floating point library is better than both turbo C and MSC
because it's reentrant.  Plus tiny model isn't as braindamaged- with zortech
tiny model and small are equivelent except that tiny model is a .COM file.

I find it very humerous that MSC 6.0 now supports tiny model.  I thought
Mircosoft had decided to drop support on .COM files...

My compiler of choice is still turbo C though.  My 8Mhz PC runs just as fast
as MSC (5.1) on a 20Mhz 386.  I only use MSC or Zortech for the final compile
(if I hadn't used any of turbo C's incompatible features).  Plus I usually
don't care very much about the compilers optimizations anyway since I write
critical sections in assembly.

--
            "Come on Duke, lets do those crimes" - Debbie
"Yeah... Yeah, lets go get sushi... and not pay" - Duke

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (03/21/90)

In article <3130@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:

>I can't imagine what you did, I compiled 3.10 with MSC 5.1, no internal errors,
>it created an 88102 byte executable that doesn't crash at all.  It even uses my
Well, I used the MSC 5.1 which came with my OS/2 SDK. This is allegedly supposed
to generate DOS code. The args to cl were: -c -Ox -AL. The internal error is
encountered when compiling buffer.c with optimzations. The error that comes up
is fatal error 1001: Internal compiler error in file code.c 1.42 (or something
close, I don't have my compiler here...).

Granted, my opinion of MSC is not very high, I would still be interested in how
you got Emacs to compile alright...

Steve

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (03/21/90)

In article <9873@wpi.wpi.edu> jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) writes:
>The only wierdness is the
>way it handles postincrement (and this weirdness is not incorrect.. it's just
>weird and slightly slower).

Oops... my apologies to zortech.  I was quite mistaken about what other
compilers do and my understanding of C.  In particular, this program:

main()
{
int a=0;
int *b= &a;
printf("%d\n", (*b) + (a++) );
}

Produces the result '1' on all compilers I've tried it on except GNU C, where
it produces the result '0'.

Most compilers assume 'a++' means "move a to tmp, increment a, use tmp for
rest of expression"

I (and I guess RMS too) thought it meant "use a for expression.  When
expresion is finished, increment a"   I think this definition is slightly
faster since with it one less register is free to use for other things in an
expression.  But K&R doesn't say which is to be used so I guess they're both
right.

--
            "Come on Duke, lets do those crimes" - Debbie
"Yeah... Yeah, lets go get sushi... and not pay" - Duke

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (03/22/90)

If I may humbly enquire, is the MIX's Power C any good?  It seems to be very
inexpensive, at $40.00 for compiler and debugger.

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (03/22/90)

I'd like to hear from someone who has used the WATCOM C compiler!
It's gotten rave reviews, and they have a good reputation for super-
optimizing compilers in the mainframe world.  Their compiler comes
with EVERYTHING, including an integrated environment for those of
you who like that sort of thing, complete with profiler and debugger.
News rags say that they just signed an agreement with Boreland to
get their debugger.

MY TWO BITS' WORTH:

I'm tired of hearing religious flames about Turdo C and MSC.  More
than that, I'm tired of the attitudes of the companies that produce
these compilers.  I would love to see someone take their business
away.  The rest of this article explains why I feel that way.

MICROSOFT:

My beef with Microsoft is that they use proprietary knowledge to compete
unfairly.  At one time they had undocumented DOS calls in their C
startup code.  Since they wrote the DOS, they knew the calls.  When
they announced OS/2 (that they wrote), guess who had the first compiler
available for it?  I think a bit a trust-busting is in order here.

That sentiment is probably the biggest reason for the large number of
Borland fans out there.  I used to be one for that reason.  No more.

BORLAND:

My beef with Borland is two-fold.  First, their products have a cheap,
unprofessional, sometimes even buggy feel and finish.  The second is
that their attitude toward their customers outrages me.

I switched from MSC to Turdo C in the middle of a commercial project
when it first came out.  It proved to be a big mistake to trust a
commercial project to an unprofessional tool, with no sympathy or
support from its makers.  I sent Borland a piece of code which demonstrated
a disasterous bug in their compiler.  When you compile it with certain
options, it would wipe out the root directory of the hard disk!  You
didn't have to RUN the program, JUST COMPILE IT with their compiler.
They CONFIRMED this error.  They did not even so much as appologize.
They just said, "We don't intend to do anything about it.  Wait for the
next version."  The letter I sent to them was sent via a CompuServ
posting, which disapeared very quickly.  Someone else on that forum
asked for a bug list.  Someone from Borland replied that they DID NOT
KEEP A BUGLIST!  (They were "fixing bugs so fast" that they "couldn't even
keep up" with it...)

I also think it is pretty raunchy of them to keep their compiler and
especially their libraries incompatible with Microsoft's _on_purpose_.
They asked Allen Hollub what it would take to get him to use their
compiler instead of Microsoft's.  He said, make it compile my existing
programs without modification.  They left with a frown.  This
incompatibility is a MARKETING issue, not an engineering issue.  That's
what burns me up about it.

CONCLUSION:

I can't stand any company that tries to control and manipulate their
customers.  I want them to win my business through excellence and
a good price/performance ratio.  I am enraged at companies that try
to win by business by force.  Microsoft and Borland have both
demonstrated this tactic.  I think they would be better received if
they would peddle their compilers in the Soviet Union.

SO I ADMIT THAT I HAVE PREJUDICES against certain products because of
the attitudes of the companies that make them.  Let's turn this potential
flame war into something constructive.  If you have a C compiler religion,
it doesn't help to state it unless you first look inside yourself and
tell us WHY you feel that way.  It is constructive to find out how a once
objective opinion can be soured with specific bad experiences.  It is not
constructive to chime in with a boolean opinion.

Jeff Pipkins
pipkins@imagen.com

My employer does not necessarily share my personal views.

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James R. Howard) (03/22/90)

In article <2940@alpha.cam.nist.gov>, koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E.
Koontz X5180) writes:
> If I may humbly enquire, is the MIX's Power C any good?  It seems to be very
> inexpensive, at $40.00 for compiler and debugger.

I bought a copy of it quite a while back.  It seemed fairly good,
especially for
the price, which at the time was $25.  A couple problems that I noticed at the
time were:

	Does not produce .OBJ files compatible with MS language compilers,
	although I think they fixed this.

	Compiler was slow, and I think it only supported certain memory
	models.

I can't remember clearly on this, it has been some time since I used it, and
it has probably been upgraded with new versions several times since then.

I believe that .EXE program execution was very fast, the optimizer was quite
good, and blew away both MSC and TC on some standard benchmarks.  It was also
one of the first to have VGA support in the libraries I believe.

I got away from it and went to MSC eventually.

James Howard
..uunet!dell!mustang!jrh   or    jrh@mustang.dell.com

The opinions stated are my own, and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of my employer, or anyone else.

jhallen@wpi.wpi.edu (Joseph H Allen) (03/22/90)

In article <126@qmsseq.imagen.com> pipkins@qmsseq.UUCP (Jeff Pipkins) writes:
>I'd like to hear from someone who has used the WATCOM C compiler!

So would I.  Although... I read a review and the conclusion was high C was
better for 386.

>MY TWO BITS' WORTH:

I primarily use turbo C and occasionally use zortech C.  I _of_course_ agree
with what you say about microsoft... :) but with turbo C I have to add
something.  FIrst of all, yes what you say about Borland is probably true.
Luckily I havn't yet had to deal with their customer support (I'm not even
registered).  However, Turbo C really does compile 3 times faster than most
others.  For that technical reason alone I prefer it.  My guess is that the
primary reason why it's faster is the I/O...  I think it would probably be
very easy for other compiler writers to make their compilers fast just by
using 64K buffers.  Second, it includes features which allow me to avoid
Intel/Microsoft assembly language.  The 8088 could have a nice assembler...
it's really not that bad of a processor for writing assembly but MASM, TASM
and even A86 are so completely braindamaged that anything to help me avoid
using them is quite welcome.  Why must I use assembly in my C programs?
Because I have yet to see a decent C library (like how about a farread call?)
and MSDOS is stupid.
--

gbastin@x102c.harris-atd.com (Gary Bastin 60293) (03/22/90)

In article <2940@alpha.cam.nist.gov> koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) writes:

>If I may humbly enquire, is the MIX's Power C any good?  It seems to be very
>inexpensive, at $40.00 for compiler and debugger.

	I find it to be very good.  The debugger is extremely easy to
use; I occasionally use it to de-bug C programs being written on
a Unix mainframe in place of the resident debuggers.  As for Power C
compiler, it is a very flexible compiler, containing many if not all
of the functions in Turbo C and Microsoft C.  Power C also contains
many System V functions, enabling porting many mainframe programs to
a PC easily, depending upon hardware limitations, of course.  For
$19.95 for the compiler, and $19.95 for the C-trace debugger, plus
about $5 bucks shipping, it is quite a bargain.  (BTW, I have
no connection with Mix Software except as a satisfied customer!)

Gary Bastin              /-/-/      arpa: gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4853         |        phone: (407) 729-3304
Harris Corporation GASD    |        packet: WB4YAF @ N4JLR.FL.USA.NA
P.O.B. 94000, Melbourne FL 32902    Speaking from, but not for, Harris!

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (03/23/90)

in article <2940@alpha.cam.nist.gov>, koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) says:
> If I may humbly enquire, is the MIX's Power C any good?  It seems to be very
> inexpensive, at $40.00 for compiler and debugger.

IMHO, it is very good.  If I'm not mistaken, the library is a super-set of
the Turbo C library.  For $10 you can get the library source like I did
and find out how printf, malloc, etc. work.  It has routines for DOS, I/O,
graphics, TSR's, and more.  You could at one time get the "C Window's
Toolkit" from Magna Charta software for $30 (regular > $100).  It does
windows and fast screen I/O.  In summary: It works for me!  :)  -kef/MM-
--
-- fordke@ingr.com         \   Micro Magic BBS  [205-830-2362]   offers:
-- ...!uunet!ingr!fordke    \   choice DOS utils (IMHO), Trackstar info,

tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) (03/24/90)

I have heard that (for 32 bit '386 compilers) Watcom is a bit better than
Metaware's. We picked Metaware's mainly because Autodesk recommended them. I
have since felt that we made a bad choice - NOT because the product was
no good, but because Metaware has started shipping religious literature
with their C compiler. While I may or may not have qualms with their
religion, I find this to be incredibly unprofessional, leading me to question
the company as a whole...

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (03/24/90)

In <3207@uudell.dell.com>, jrh@mustang.dell.com (James R. Howard) writes:
> In article <2940@alpha.cam.nist.gov>, koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E.
> Koontz X5180) writes:
> > If I may humbly enquire, is the MIX's Power C any good?  It seems to be very
> > inexpensive, at $40.00 for compiler and debugger.
>
> I bought a copy of it quite a while back.  It seemed fairly good,
> especially for
> the price, which at the time was $25.  A couple problems that I noticed at the
> time were:
I paid $50 for compiler, debugger and library source.

> 	Compiler was slow, and I think it only supported certain memory
> 	models.
I have version 1.3.0 (No idea what current version is).  It only supports
the medium memory model.  I have no feel for the speed of the compiler,
I don't have MSC or Turbo or anything else to compare it to.

> I believe that .EXE program execution was very fast, the optimizer was quite
> good, and blew away both MSC and TC on some standard benchmarks.  It was also
> one of the first to have VGA support in the libraries I believe.
It also has floating point support second only to WatCom (the best) and
a small fraction of the cost.  On the PC mags a while back rated
compilers and MIX did very well.  It doesn't have an integrated
environment, at least not the version they had out when I bought it, but
I (personally) hate such things anyway.  I haven't been using it much
since I'm not doing much PC programming anymore.  Its a *great* value.
Especially since you can get library source.

I'm not affliated with MIX except as a very happy customer.

		-Doug

---
Preferred: willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp   [in a pinch: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

consp21@bingsuni.cc.binghamton.edu (Ken Hoover) (03/25/90)

In article <705.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP>, dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug
Philips) writes:
[ in reference to MIX Power C ]
> I have version 1.3.0 (No idea what current version is).  It only supports
> the medium memory model.  I have no feel for the speed of the compiler,
> I don't have MSC or Turbo or anything else to compare it to.
> [...]  It doesn't have an integrated
> environment, at least not the version they had out when I bought it, but
> I (personally) hate such things anyway.  I haven't been using it much
> since I'm not doing much PC programming anymore.  Its a *great* value.
> Especially since you can get library source.

  I talked with several people in the Computer Center here while looking
for a good C compiler, and they all recommended Power C to me on the
basis of its documentation alone (I'm still learning C).  To them, the
fact that you get a pretty decent C compiler was secondary, because for
$19.95 the manual by itself was worth the money.  I took the plunge and
bought the whole package -- compiler, debugger, and lib source -- for
$50.  For Turbo C professional, $150 + $150 (?) for lib source.  Four
360k disks and two well-written manuals.

  The compiler is pretty good, although this version (1.3.0) only
supports medium memory models; and is plenty fast for me (speed is not
really important to me; but the stuff included with the compiler showed
it as being faster than Turbo C and Quick C while generating smaller
.EXE files).  The debugger (v1.2.0) is also nice, but I quickly
discovered a way to make it go kablooie (crash messily) on something
that it ought to prevent me from doing.

  Also included with the library source was an assembler, PCA.EXE, which
the README files say little about, other than it's for compiling the
.ASM with the library source code.  I haven't tried to use it, but
perhaps it will be developed further in the future?

  I also think that integrated environments are for the birds.  If I
need a debugger, I'll use a separate one (like the one in power C)
rather than have it get in my way while I'm just generating code.
Besides, I haven't found an integrated environment editor that would
make me give up standalone ones I prefer to use.

  For me, Power C is perfect.  If I find that it ever can't do what I
need it to do, I may switch; but if they keep me notified of upgrades
and keep building on their excellent start, I'll stick with them and
keep chuckling at those people who shelled out a lot more to get the
same results.

> I'm not affliated with MIX except as a very happy customer.
>
> 		-Doug

  Me too.

						- Ken

PS:  Is there any way to get in contact with MIX over the net via email
or other means?

Ken Hoover [ consp21@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu | consp21@bingvaxa.BITNET ]
            Resident computer jock, SUNY-Binghamton Bio dept.
     Senior undergraduate consultant, SUNY-Binghamton Computer Center

dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) (03/25/90)

In article <1424@polari.UUCP> tima@polari (tim anderson) writes:
>I have heard that (for 32 bit '386 compilers) Watcom is a bit better than
>Metaware's. We picked Metaware's mainly because Autodesk recommended them. I

	Has anyone heard/read anything about or (better) actually used
NDP's 386 C compiler?  How is it compared to that from Watcom and
Metaware?  Thus far I've only seen NDP's ads in DDJ and such. They
claim Weitek support. Reviews anywhere?  I'm in the market for such a
compiler and should be plunking down money soon.
--
--Danny (dquah@athena.mit.edu, dquah@dolphin.mit.edu)
Dept. of Economics MIT, E52-274b, Cambridge MA 02139

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (03/27/90)

In article <2940@alpha.cam.nist.gov> koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) writes:

>If I may humbly enquire, is the MIX's Power C any good?  It seems to be very
>inexpensive, at $40.00 for compiler and debugger.

SURE!!!  The Power C will probably give you the biggest bang for the buck!  You
don't need to spend the bucks for MsC 5.1, since QuickC 2.0 will give you just
as much speed and power and compactness (almost!).  And Turbo C, well, they'll
have a brand new version 3.0 before long and the market will sway again...

NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHAT'S BEST!!!  Just pick something and stick with it, as
long as there's competition (i.e. microsoft, borland, mix, zortech...) there
will be another BETTER version...

(I use MsC 5.1, Quick C 2.01, Turbo C 2.0.  Quick C is my most commonly used.)

:)

wilber@sal-sun48.usc.edu (John Wilber) (03/28/90)

In article <1424@polari.UUCP> tima@polari (tim anderson) writes:

>have since felt that we made a bad choice - NOT because the product was
>no good, but because Metaware has started shipping religious literature
>with their C compiler. While I may or may not have qualms with their
>religion, I find this to be incredibly unprofessional, leading me to question
>the company as a whole...

What do you mean, religious literature?  Do you mean religious, as if to
espouse a certain language, operating system, or hardware (like FORTH,
Unix, or Macintosh)?  Or do you mean RELIGIOUS, as if to push a certain
faith, like Judaism, Hare Krisha, or Seventh Day Adventism?

I think you're talking about RELIGIOUS here, but I find that difficult
to believe.  After all, WordPerfect Corporation is owned and operated by
Mormons, but they don't try to change their customers' beliefs in any
way.

If you are talking about RELIGIOUS, I would find the practice of putting
literature in their products offensive (and unprofessional, like you)
enough to return it and buy from someone else.

/***********************************************************************\
* John J. Wilber           * "Im Himmel gibts kein Bier zum trinken wir *
* wilber@nunki.usc.edu     *  es hier"                  -German Proverb *
* Student, partier, beer   * "In heaven there's no beer, so we might as *
* drinker, fun-loving guy. *  well drink it here"          -Translation *
* "I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer"           -The Doors *
\***********************************************************************/

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/29/90)

In article <8847@chaph.usc.edu>, wilber@sal-sun48.usc.edu (John Wilber) writes:
> In article <1424@polari.UUCP> tima@polari (tim anderson) writes:
#
# #have since felt that we made a bad choice - NOT because the product was
# #no good, but because Metaware has started shipping religious literature
# #with their C compiler. While I may or may not have qualms with their
# #religion, I find this to be incredibly unprofessional, leading me to question
# #the company as a whole...
#
# What do you mean, religious literature?  Do you mean religious, as if to
# espouse a certain language, operating system, or hardware (like FORTH,
# Unix, or Macintosh)?  Or do you mean RELIGIOUS, as if to push a certain
# faith, like Judaism, Hare Krisha, or Seventh Day Adventism?
#
# I think you're talking about RELIGIOUS here, but I find that difficult
# to believe.  After all, WordPerfect Corporation is owned and operated by
# Mormons, but they don't try to change their customers' beliefs in any
# way.
#
# If you are talking about RELIGIOUS, I would find the practice of putting
# literature in their products offensive (and unprofessional, like you)
# enough to return it and buy from someone else.
#
# * John J. Wilber           * "Im Himmel gibts kein Bier zum trinken wir *

Metaware is, according to their advertising for open positions, a
"Christ-centered" company.  (Translation: evangelical Christians
run the company, and as near I can tell, nearly all the employees
are also.  They frequently hold prayer meetings during the day at
work, and nearly everyone goes).  If you don't like the extraneous
literature they ship with their product, throw it away.  Their C
compiler produces extremely optimized code, from my workings with it.

In my dealings with Metaware while working for a customer of theirs,
I never had the issue of religion raised, or even suggested.

*I* wouldn't do things the way Metaware does -- but that's hardly a
reason to not buy a product from them.  (Tell me, if you suggested
not buying software from a company that was vigorously, unambiguously
Jewish, would the Bnai Brith Anti-Defamation League be called in to
harrass you?)
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.  Ask the Lithuanians.

wilber@sal-sun2.usc.edu (John Wilber) (03/30/90)

In article <3317@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>*I* wouldn't do things the way Metaware does -- but that's hardly a
>reason to not buy a product from them.  (Tell me, if you suggested
>not buying software from a company that was vigorously, unambiguously
>Jewish, would the Bnai Brith Anti-Defamation League be called in to
>harrass you?)

Good point.  My only beef with buying from a religious company occurs
when they act in an unprofessional manner, such as previously described.
If it was Jewish literature that they were including in their product,
instead of Christian, I'd still have a problem with buying it, though.
I have no reservations about buying from a company that espouses a
certain religion, as long as they don't push it on me.  BTW, I think
WordPerfect is great software- their company is (almost) all Mormons.

If MW's compiler is as good as you describe, maybe someday I will buy it
and throw the included literature away.

>Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
>Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.  Ask the Lithuanians.

Or George Bush, with the new ban on "non-sporting" firearms proposed.

* John J. Wilber               * "My mind is a planet for you to roam"  *
* wilber@nunki.usc.edu         *                                  -INXS *
* Student, partier, anarchist, * "Put away that gun- this party's       *
* and fun-loving guy.          *  simple"            -The Talking Heads *