[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] MS Linker errors

gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) (03/27/90)

Okay net wizards, I need some advice as to how dangerous a path I am
trodding...

I am developing an application with Zortech's C++ v2.0. I need to link
with a 3rd party library which was built with MS C v5.0. My link line looks
like the following:

   link test,,,fg+pll+zll+cpptl+(3rd party library)+llibc7 /NOD/NOE;
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                     ^^^^^
               Zortech libs                         MS lib

The program links with 14 multiply defined symbols and 2 fixup overflows as
shown at the end of this message. The resulting executable runs fine
however, in spite of the linker errors. My simple test program uses all
the functions my full-blown application will use. Should I continue on
developing my application and just ignore these linker errors, or should
I be concerned that later down the road something might break????

Linker errors:

LLIBC7.LIB(CRT0) : error L2025: __acrtused : symbol defined more than once
LLIBC7.LIB(CRT0DAT) : error L2025: _errno : symbol defined more than once
                        .
                        .
                        .
LLIBC7.LIB(CRT0DAT) : error L2025: __psp : symbol defined more than once

LLIBC7.LIB(CRT0) : error L2002: fixup overflow at 0004 in segment
 pos: 14C Record type: 9C
 target external '__exit'
LLIBC7.LIB(CRT0) : error L2002: fixup overflow at 00B8 in segment
 pos: 2BD Record type: 9C
 target external '_exit'

--
G.J. (Joe) Bradley, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332

UUCP:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gb7
INTERNET: gb7@prism.gatech.edu

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (03/29/90)

In article <7437@hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
<I am developing an application with Zortech's C++ v2.0. I need to link
<with a 3rd party library which was built with MS C v5.0.

I recommend that you call the vendor of the 3rd party library and request
that they send you a Zortech version.

gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) (03/29/90)

In article <2414@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>In article <7437@hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
><I am developing an application with Zortech's C++ v2.0. I need to link
><with a 3rd party library which was built with MS C v5.0.
>
>I recommend that you call the vendor of the 3rd party library and request
>that they send you a Zortech version.

I tried that but they said they only support MS C or MS Quickbasic. They don't
sell the source code either.

--

wgb@balkan.tnt.COM (William G. Bunton) (03/29/90)

> In article <7437@hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
> <I am developing an application with Zortech's C++ v2.0. I need to link
> <with a 3rd party library which was built with MS C v5.0.

> I recommend that you call the vendor of the 3rd party library and
> request that they send you a Zortech version.

About a year and a half ago, we bought Watcom C.  One of the great
features was we could set up calling conventions to be compatible with
any existing C library.  Unfortunately, that was only if you didn't
link with the Watcom library.  I called and asked about this, because
we too have to link with existing 3rd party libraries built with MSC.
The response from Watcom was 'Call the vendor of the 3rd party library
and request that they send you a Watcom version'.  Our response was to
send Watcom C back, and continue using MSC.

Walter, I own Zortech C++ v2.0.  Actually, it's now 2.06 after waiting
two months for Zortech to to upgrade me, and finally having to call
them.  But I can't use it, because we still have to link with existing
3rd party libraries built with MSC.  So I guess we'll look into buying
Intek or Guidelines C++.  Too bad, because I like Zortech.

Bill
--
William G. Bunton                                        wgb@balkan.tnt.com
Tools & Techniques, Inc. Austin, TX        {cs.utexas.edu,uunet}!balkan!wgb

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/30/90)

In article <1990Mar29.125645.4546@balkan.TNT.COM> wgb@balkan.tnt.COM (William G. Bunton) writes:

[...]

>Walter, I own Zortech C++ v2.0.  Actually, it's now 2.06 after waiting
>two months for Zortech to to upgrade me, and finally having to call
>them.  But I can't use it, because we still have to link with existing
>3rd party libraries built with MSC.  So I guess we'll look into buying
>Intek or Guidelines C++.  Too bad, because I like Zortech.

    You can buy the sources to Microsoft's library.  If you own MSC,
they charge $150.  Most are assembler.  You'd might have to write a
filter to change from one assembler syntax/pseudo-ops to the other, but
you could then have the MSC functions in you object format.

kdq

--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

 "Next time, Jack, write a God-damned memo!" - Jack Ryan - Hunt for Red October