[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] msc 6.0 problems

eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu (Eugene Wang) (04/11/90)

>   I sure hope that that Quarterdeck decides to fix QEMM386, since it is an
> awesome product, but I might have to find a substitute so I upgrade my
> compiler....

  Why are we assumming that this is Quarterdeck/Qualitas' problems. What
has Microsoft done to make HIMEM.SYS incompatible?  Quarterdeck and Qualitas
essentially make the only commercial extended memory managers around, and to
have MSC 6.0 incompatible with BOTH of them?  I think Quarterdeck,
Qualitas AND Microsoft should work out a solution. The problem should be
Microsoft's. They know it's incompatible and what have they done?

Just wondering,

Eugene Wang
eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (04/11/90)

Eugene Wang <eggbert@bucsf.bu.edu> writes:
> Why are we assumming that this is Quarterdeck/Qualitas' problems. What
> has Microsoft done to make HIMEM.SYS incompatible?  Quarterdeck and Qualitas
> essentially make the only commercial extended memory managers around, and to
> have MSC 6.0 incompatible with BOTH of them?  I think Quarterdeck,
> Qualitas AND Microsoft should work out a solution. The problem should be
> Microsoft's. They know it's incompatible and what have they done?

Well, here's the answer, from comp.os.os2:

Alistair Banks <alistair@microsoft.UUCP> writes:
# Further to this, Microsoft, Intel and many other industry leaders,
# including the well-known DOS extender companies got together recently to
# resolve the problems in current DOS-extender technologies.

# Micrsoft has backed the resulting proposed DPMI standard, (Dos
# Protect Mode Interface) and has stated that DPMI applications
# will be supported under a future version of Windows and a future
# version of OS/2.

# As Gordon Letwin stated, VCPI is technically inedaquate to satisfy
# our customer's stated requirements. DPMI enables the same important
# features as VCPI, and will be supported in Microsoft's operating systems.

# Alistair Banks
# OS/2 Group
# Microsoft

I think we can assume from this that Quarterdeck will release a new
version of QEMM/386 which *will* work with the new HIMEM.SYS, Windows
3.0 (next month) and OS/2 2.0 (or possibly a later version).

Let's not spout at Microsoft without knowing all the facts...

[ \tom haapanen   --   university of waterloo  --  tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ comp.binaries.os2 moderator -- submissions to os2bin@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i say what i say, but i say it for myself and myself only" -- me           ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"                -- al capone    ]