[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Microsoft C 6.0 - When avail & how much?

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (04/06/90)

In article <8789@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) writes:
| I saw the new 6.0 compiler advertised in Dr. Dobbs and was wondering if any
| netters know when it will be available and what the list price might be.

Where Microsoft is concerned, the product doesn't get officially announced
until it's shipped.  Check some of the other ads in DDJ to see if some of
the mail-order houses don't already have 6.0.  If it's not in their ads,
find one with an 800 number and give them a call.  Chances are that they
will have it.

--
Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
"Your degree in Economics is not necessarily an aide to finding gainfull

moran@drivax.UUCP (Mike Moran) (04/06/90)

alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) writes:

>I saw the new 6.0 compiler advertised in Dr. Dobbs and was wondering if any
>netters know when it will be available and what the list price might be.

I called Microsoft a week or so ago when the add came out and they said 2 months
So try late May (if the date dosen't slip).  Only Microsoft knows what the price
will be.

--
Michael A. Moran
Digital Research

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (04/10/90)

In article <4622@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:
> In article <8789@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) writes:
> | I saw the new 6.0 compiler advertised in Dr. Dobbs and was wondering if any
> | netters know when it will be available and what the list price might be.
>
> Where Microsoft is concerned, the product doesn't get officially announced
> until it's shipped.  Check some of the other ads in DDJ to see if some of
> the mail-order houses don't already have 6.0.  If it's not in their ads,
> find one with an 800 number and give them a call.  Chances are that they
> will have it.
>
> --
> Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
> "Your degree in Economics is not necessarily an aide to finding gainfull
> emplyoment, but at least it helps you understand why you're unemployed"
> 	--Samuel Bates

update! I just received msc 6.0 package this morning. It's distributed in 7 1.2
meg floppies of compressed files.  There is warning that the latest himen.sys
will not work with QEMM and 386^MAX. If only quatilas and quarterdeck will work
on this problem......

kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com (Fred Smith) (04/10/90)

In article <18833@oregon.uoregon.edu> KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) writes:

>update! I just received msc 6.0 package this morning. It's distributed in 7 1.2
>meg floppies of compressed files.  There is warning that the latest himen.sys
>will not work with QEMM and 386^MAX. If only quatilas and quarterdeck will work
>on this problem......
>

>kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???

What a bummer.  I might be forced to abandon Microsoft software products
then and turn to Borland or Zortech.

I have been using MS C and QB for some time because they are good packages
and even work well together. I hope they aren't going to dump me! What a bummer

Fred

platt@ndla.UUCP (Daniel E. Platt) (04/10/90)

In article <4622@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:
> In article <8789@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) writes:
> | I saw the new 6.0 compiler advertised in Dr. Dobbs and was wondering if any
> | netters know when it will be available and what the list price might be.

Hi,

Just for the record, I got in the mail yesterday the offer for the new
MSC 6.0.  I've only seen the upgrade cost ($125.00).  It doesn't look bad
from where I'm sitting.

Dan

NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) (04/10/90)

When I got home from work last night there was a packet from Microsoft
announcing the availability of MSC 6.0.

If you have purchased MSC 5.1 prior to March 1, 1990 the upgrade fee is
$125.00 plus tax, shipping and handling.  Individuals purchasing MSC
between March 1, 1990 and July 1, 1990 will be able to upgrade for the
cost of shipping and handling by furnishing verification of date of
purchase.

The accompanying sales brochure did not talk about the compiler as much
as the new Programmer's Workbench which 6.0 is built around.  The concept
is a continuation of Microsoft's theme to provide a development
environement which can support large scale projects.  The workbench
allows access to the compiler, editor and a number of development tools
as well as hooks for accessing what they refer to as 'third party tools.'

Accompanying the upgrade is Version 3.0 of Codeview.  This is marketed as
a major upgrade of Codeview.  If support is provided in the form of
a machine with extended memory (80286 and up) the brochure claims there is
no limit (other than memory) to the size of the application which can be
handled.  Support is also available for platforms provided EMS memory
mapping although the brochure suggests this is at the expense of the size
of the application which can be debugged.  New features also include the
presence of a local variable window which automatically displays all the
values of the local stack frame whenever a function is entered.  Debugging
history is also provided as well as the ability to 'back up' if you should
happen to overrun the site of the bug you are interested in.  The ability
to set breakpoints based upon a combination of line number and variable
values is also supported.  In combination with the programmers workbench
an individual can supposedly cause Codeview to 'remember' where it was so
that you can return to the workbench, do some things and then return to
where you left off in the debugging environment.  Don't hold me to this
last part as I am not sure that I interpreted that portion of the sales
brochure correctly.

Microsoft seems to now be supporting NMAKE exclusively as the project
control utility from the Programmer's workbench.  In a somewhat nodding
acknowledgement to those of us who grew up with UNIX(c) style makes they
now claim to fully support us by providing 'a project control facility
that understands true dependencies.'

In addition Microsoft is providing a file browsing utility that incorporates
a function tree analyzer with object recognition (not in the OOP sense.)
My impression is that you invoke this file browsing utility on your project
in its sum total and it allows you to jump to any function regardless of
source module location and will also tell you the names and locations of
objects (variables, arrays and structures) as well as the ability to jump
to these sites.

The editor was not mentioned specifically as being ME.  Instead the brochure
commented that the workbench provided an editor which is both extensible and
fully customizable which also provides the ability to utilize the information
provided by the workbench about the project to speed editing.  One would
presume that the editor can probably access the source code using the
information tables developed by the file browsing facilities.

From the compiler standpoint emphasis was again placed on the code
generation capabilities of the compiler.  It was interesting to note that a
fair amount of emphasis was placed on the ability to alter how the compiler
deals with optimization.  An explanation was made concerning the problems
with aliasing and loop optimizations.  The brochure went on to explain how
the the development environment allowed the programmer to customize each
source module so that problems with aggresive optimization can be avoided
by reducing the optimization level on a per function or per source module
basis.  According to Microsoft new optimization enhancements in the compiler
allow for register parameter passing as well as global optimization.  One
wonders if this means that the compiler is going to be smart enough to do
global register allocation and optimization across all modules....

Microsoft claims of course that the compiler is ANSI compliant and that
extensions can be switched on or off at will.  There are two notable
additions to MS supplied language extensions: the first is the support of
in-line assembler code through the _asm keyword and the second is the
ability to use based pointers.

The in-line assembler uses the _asm keyword to set of a block of assembler
code.  An interesting (and conceivably useful) feature is the ability to
refer to variables by name within the assembler block.  The following
variable swap illustrates this:

                auto int var1 = 0,
                         var2 = 1;

                _asm
                {
                   MOV   AX, var1
                   PUSH  AX
                   MOV   AX, var2
                   MOV   var1, AX
                   POP   AX
                   MOV   var2, AX
                }

Not a very elegant example I am afraid but hopefully it provides an idea of
the resource that they are trying to provide.

My pager just went off so that is about all the information I can provide
for now, hopefully people will find it of use.  I am not sure what type
of lead time to expect before the upgrade shows up but I am not holding
my breath.

Does 6.0 make anyone else in the community feel inadequate?  Once of my
main concerns is finding the time to employ all this new technology.  I keep
telling myself that I have to start using all these productivity
enhancements but I still find myself sitting up at 2:00 am in the morning
with only my editor, compiler, linker, grep and diff at my side and of course
a whole bunch of printf's........

                                     As always,
                                     Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                                     NU013809@NDSUVM1

`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other men
 expound their wisdom.'

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (04/11/90)

From article <LG0G3ZR@drivax.UUCP>, by moran@drivax.UUCP (Mike Moran):
> alanr@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Alan N Rovner) writes:
>>I saw the new 6.0 compiler advertised in Dr. Dobbs and was wondering if any
>>netters know when it will be available and what the list price might be.

My update card came yesterday and being the sucker that I am I sent in the
$132.50 total needed to update.  I have no idea what the final price will
be.

Bob

    My opinions are my own no matter	|	Robert W. McGwier, N4HY
    who I work for! ;-)			|	CCR, AMSAT, etc.

marks@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Mark D Salzman) (04/11/90)

In article <8580@cg-atla.agfa.com> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
>1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
>abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???

No. The info I got in my update letter says it is available on 5.25" floppies
in both 360K and 1.4M versions, as well as on 3.5" 760K floppies. From the
sound of things, the new CodeView is worth the upgrade price ($125 + S&H) in
that it will run out of extended or expanded memory and occupy as little as
13K of normal DOS memory (when using extended memory). I wonder what the
people who produce Magic CV think about this, since it will likely make that
product obsolete.

--
# Mark D. Salzman    Phone: (206) 253-5542.  #  The more complex the mind,
# Tektronix Inc., P.O. Box 3500, M/S C1-936  #  the greater the need for

whipple@sun.acs.udel.edu (Peter Adams Whipple) (04/11/90)

In article <8580@cg-atla.agfa.com> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
>1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
>abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???
>
>Fred

I just filled in my form today.  You have the option of getting the
upgrade on 1.2M 5.25", 360K 5.25", 720K 3.5", or CD-ROM, so you're not
quite abandoned.  I don't know why they didn't include 1.4M 3.5s also.

-- Peter

dacseg@uts.amdahl.com (Scott E. Garfinkle) (04/11/90)

From article <8580@cg-atla.agfa.com>, by fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com (Fred Smith):
> 1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
> abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???

No.  My upgrade offer (just got it) says that MSC is also available on
3.5" disks (two densities).
	-scott garfinkle

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (04/11/90)

>>> 1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
>>> abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???

Relax!!

The "Version 6.0 Update Order Coupon" which arrived in yesterday's mail
asks what media you want.  The four choices are:

	5.25" (1.2MB)
	5.25" (360K)
	3.5" (720K)
	CD-ROM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The product is BIG.  From the March 1990 issue of Microsoft Systems Journal
which also arrived in yesterday's mail, has a big article on C 6.0.  One
thing it says is that if you install all the libraries, you will consume
in excess of 10MBs of hard disk.

mac@idacrd.UUCP (Robert McGwier) (04/11/90)

From article <8580@cg-atla.agfa.com>, by fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com (Fred Smith):
> In article <18833@oregon.uoregon.edu> KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) writes:
>
> 1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
> abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???

Why don't you ask before you be a jerk?  The update form asks you which
of the available media you wish to be updated with, INCLUDING 360K
floppies.

From article <3828NU013809@NDSUVM1>, by NU013809@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein):

> Does 6.0 make anyone else in the community feel inadequate?  Once of my
> main concerns is finding the time to employ all this new technology.

I can tell you that I don't suffer from such problems.  Inline assembler supported at long last!

I dropped my $125 in the mail and was extremely happy to do it.  I am confused
about one thing that disturbs me.  They included in the literature FOR A
SEPERATE PRICE, the Library Reference Manual.  Surely they cannot mean not
to include the Library Reference Manual with the compiler can they?  Possibly
they are acknowledging the fact that this will become one of the most stolen
pieces of coding in the world in the next few months and since most people
neve read anything but the Library Reference manual they are trying to recoup
some of their losses. (Here's hoping).

The one thing they didn't mention and I suspect is still half supported
s interrupts.  I was sincerely hoping that with 6.0 they would switch
stacks so that safe TSR's could be written easily or that they finally
completely support setjmp and longjmp.  Inquiring minds want to know!

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/12/90)

In article <8580@cg-atla.agfa.com>, fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com (Fred Smith) writes:
> In article <18833@oregon.uoregon.edu> KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) writes:
# #update! I just received msc 6.0 package this morning. It's distributed in 7 1.2
# #meg floppies of compressed files.  There is warning that the latest himen.sys
# #will not work with QEMM and 386^MAX. If only quatilas and quarterdeck will work
# #on this problem......
# 1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
# abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???
#
# Fred

No.  When you order your upgrade (which I did yesterday), you get the
option of picking the disk format your upgrade comes on.  360K disks
are still available.

--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.  Ask the Lithuanians.

KUO@oregon.uoregon.edu (Shijong Kuo) (04/12/90)

In article <82Eq02wy9bX=01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, dacseg@uts.amdahl.com (Scott E. Garfinkle) writes:
> From article <8580@cg-atla.agfa.com>, by fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com (Fred Smith):
>> 1.2 meg floppies ???   Does this mean that Microsoft is officially
>> abandoning those of us poor folk who still have only 360k drives???
>
> No.  My upgrade offer (just got it) says that MSC is also available on
> 3.5" disks (two densities).
> 	-scott garfinkle
yes, 360k is still available, I did not specify which, so I guess they chose to
send me 1.2meg, which shoud save them a few cents. But 20+ 360 k floppies is
very cumbersome. The new cv can use extended memory thru himem.sys (new version
compatible with win3.0 , but not win 2.x; there is rumor that win 3.0 will be
$50.) I played with PWB( programmer's workbench) a little bit. I can get
qemm.sys and himem.sys installed peaceflly. I expect problems to occur when I
try to use CV, which I did not yet tried. himem.sys seems to drag the system
down by a couple of per cent, but it seems "MAYBE" I can still use DV with PWB
to some extent. So I don't yet what specific imcompatibilities will occur. Also
following MS's tradition, only the additional new manual and supplements came
for this $125 upgrade. But there is a new book detaling the run-time library
for 22.95.
kuo@oregon.uoregon.edu

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (04/12/90)

Microsoft C 6.0 is available NOW.  I got my upgrade notice last Monday.  It was
announced officially in Boston on Tuesday.
	$495 - List price
	$125 - Upgrade from C5.0 or C5.1
	$250 - Upgrade from earlier version