[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Video driver needed for AutoCAD ver.10

avallokj@clutx.clarkson.edu (Ken Avallone) (04/13/90)

     One of my clubs recently aquired a version of AutoCAD, however, it
only came with the driver for EGA. We have only CGA and Hercules. Can we
use an old version's drivers or do we need to get ahold of this version's
drivers?
     If anyone has any advice/drivers, please let me know.

Kenneth Avallone

avallokj@clutx.clarkson.edu
        @128.153.4.3

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (04/14/90)

In article <1990Apr13.144941.1168@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> avallokj@clutx.clarkson.edu (Ken Avallone) writes:

>     One of my clubs recently aquired a version of AutoCAD, however, it
>only came with the driver for EGA. We have only CGA and Hercules. Can we
>use an old version's drivers or do we need to get ahold of this version's
>drivers?
>     If anyone has any advice/drivers, please let me know.
>
>Kenneth Avallone
>
>avallokj@clutx.clarkson.edu
>        @128.153.4.3

Why does it sound like you are posting to the world that you copied ACAD v10
from someone.  Without getting into a philosophical discussion, I'll leave
one warning behind.

I run a computer lab that uses AutoCAD.  This lab was handed down from
student supervisor to student supervisor.  Somewhere down the line, someone
lost track of how many legal copies of AutoCAD we had.  Soon the lab grew to
twice its size and there were many too many computers with illegal copies.
One rainy day in Philadelphia, the local AutoCAD distributor called and
asked a secretary how many copies of AutoCAD we were using and If we wanted
to upgrade.  The secretary said ``30'' being that there are 30 computers.
The ACAD rep noticed that we had only purchased 20 and sent someone over to
have a look.  Well, about $22,000 later, we have been forced into buying
upgrades and new copies.  The moral of the story: Don't Screw with AutoCAD.
(and if you do, don't tell the whole earth about it in one posting :-)

Neil

 \            /     \        /    /      Neil Weisenfeld
  \          /       \      /    /      Computer Science and Engineering
   \        /    /\   \    /    /      Unviersity of Pennsylvania
     \    /    /    \   \/    /      InterNet:  weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
      \  /    /      \       /      USPS:  3700 Spruce St. Box 572
       \/____/        \_____/             Philadelphia, PA  19104