[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] DOS 4.0 versus DOS 3.3 ... so?

cms2839@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.M. Stuntz) (04/08/90)

In article <1J37g2w161w@cattie.UUCP> cattie!marks@hutch.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) writes:
>What exactly are advantages that DOS 4.0 has over DOS 3.3?  I know that
>DOS 4.0 can handle partitions larger than 32MB, but is there anything
>else?

				well , it has a shell ( from what i've
heard it's not very good ) and it makes better use of expanded memory ,
but the biggest advantage that i've heard of so far is that it uses 2KB
clusters instead of 4K with previous versions . this frees up hard drive
space , if you have lots of small files , but you must re-fromat ( high
level ) your hard drive . i've not switched yet , though ...

							-a.stranger
--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (04/09/90)

In article <1J37g2w161w@cattie.UUCP> cattie!marks@hutch.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) writes:
>What exactly are advantages that DOS 4.0 has over DOS 3.3?  I know that
>DOS 4.0 can handle partitions larger than 32MB, but is there anything
>else?

Isn't that enough?  4.01 also includes a visual shell, *sort of* a windowing
based front end to DOS.  It also comes with SMARTDRV.SYS, which is a disk
cache.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

gbastin@x102c.harris-atd.com (Gary Bastin 60293) (04/12/90)

In article <3334@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>In article <1J37g2w161w@cattie.UUCP> cattie!marks@hutch.UUCP (Mark Schaffer) writes:
>>What exactly are advantages that DOS 4.0 has over DOS 3.3?  I know that
>>DOS 4.0 can handle partitions larger than 32MB, but is there anything
>>else?
>
>Isn't that enough?  4.01 also includes a visual shell, *sort of* a windowing
>based front end to DOS.  It also comes with SMARTDRV.SYS, which is a disk
>cache.

Although it might not matter to most, there is a fundamental reason why some
users might not _want_ to go to DOS 4.01 in spite of the shell and larger
partitions.  Namely, the amount of RAM that DOS4.01 has to take as its own.
With programs that need around 585K to 592K of free RAM to run, DOS4.01 just
simply doesn't leave enough room!  DOS 3.3 is not nearly so memory hungry.
I got burned on this one trying to set up Touchstone RF by EESOF.  It
would not run under DOS4.01, but ran fine under DOS 3.3.  A call to the
factory revealed that the statement of DOS3.X and later was in error, you
really could only run under DOS 3.3!  I managed to swap a copy of DOS4.01
for DOS 3.3, but felt that I was getting taken by the fact that DOS 4.01
cost more than 3.3, and I could not even use it! It was embarassing since
I had made the recommendation for my company to get DOS 4.01 in the first
place to run with the Touchstone RF package!  Just my $.02...

Gary Bastin              /-/-/      arpa: gbastin@x102c.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4853         |        phone: (407) 729-3304
Harris Corporation GASD    |        packet: WB4YAF @ N4JLR.FL.USA.NA
P.O.B. 94000, Melbourne FL 32902    Speaking from, but not for, Harris!

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/14/90)

[discussion of why DOS 4.01 is great and/or a dog deleted]

This brings up the question: is there a way to work with bigger partitions
under DOS 3.3?

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (04/15/90)

In article <650@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>[discussion of why DOS 4.01 is great and/or a dog deleted]
>
>This brings up the question: is there a way to work with bigger partitions
>under DOS 3.3?
>
>--
>Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
>     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

Use OnTrack's DiskManager software.  It's great.

*	Steven R. Gerber - PAL (Programmer At Large)
*	srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
*	Tel:	212-794-8721
*	UUCP:	...rutgers!columbia!cunixd!srg
*	FAX:	212-794-8722

hinton@netcom.UUCP (Greg Hinton) (04/15/90)

In article <650@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>This brings up the question: is there a way to work with bigger partitions
>under DOS 3.3?

Get your hands on a copy of Compaq DOS 3.31.  That was the first version with
the so-called "Bigfoot" partition.