[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] MSC 6.0, WIN 3.0, QuickC?

pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (04/11/90)

I too received the upgrade offer for 6.0 from 5.1 for only 125.00?

What about QuickC?  When I purchased 5.0 I received QC and
later bought QC 2.0?.  I do most of my prototyping in QC.

Does 6.0 come with QC?  If not, will my old QC libs be compatible with
6.0 or vice versa?

By the way, is 6.0 compatible with SDK 2.1, and I guess the SDK for WIN 3.0?

So it costs $125.00 for C6.0, so let us optimistically say $100.00 for win3.0,
$150.00 for the new SDK (for upgrades).  $375.00 smackers, now if I add how
much I have already paid for $windos 2.0 , $win386, $SDK 2.0 & $upgrade,
$C 5.0 & $5.1 upgrade, $QC 2.0...........I should have bought stock in MS!

Additionally, this new environment probably means that I will add another
10-20 readme, doc, txt files to my collection!

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

phg@cs.brown.edu (Peter H. Golde) (04/11/90)

In article <6551@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>Does 6.0 come with QC?

C 6.0 comes with a command line version of the QuickC
compiler, updated to compile most of the new C 6.0 constructs
(ANSI compliance, based pointers, etc.).  The QuickC
environment per se is not included, but the Programmer's
Workbench/compiler/CodeView/advisor/browser combination gives you
same same integration and ease of use that QuickC gave you -- editing,
compiling, debugging in the same environment, pull down menus
and dialog boxes for setting compile/link options, on-screen
help for all the run-time library and error messages, etc. etc.

In short, C 6.0 doesn't actually include QuickC, but it gives
you everything that QuickC gave you, and a lot more.

--Peter Golde (phg@cs.brown.edu)

dubose_b@wums.wustl.edu (Bob DuBose) (04/27/90)

In article <6429@umd5.umd.edu>, oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer)
writes:
> MSC 6.0 is supposed to (like its predecessor) include Quick C. The version of
> QC is 2.5 I believe. QC only users are also suppossed to get upgrade notices
> soon. If you bought both seperately, I suggest getting the upgrade to MSC 6
> and see what it contains.... [remaining deleted]

    The MSC upgrade includes the QC compiler (invoked via the /qc command
    line switch), but not the QC integrated environment.  For that they
    have the PWB (Programmer's Workbench), to control development,
    compilation, etc.  PWB, however, is EXTREMELY slow on DOS systems, even
    w/ a hefty ramdisk and disk cache.  It spends much of its time swapping
    itself in and out of memory when the compiler, debugger, etc. are
    invoked.  Apparently this isn't so much a problem on OS/2 systems.

Bob DuBose                           dubose_b@wums.wustl.edu
Department of Genetics                    bdb@agar.wustl.edu
Washington University in St. Louis
"1 + 1 it could manage (2) and 1 + 2 (3) and 2 + 2 (4)
 or tan 74 (3.4874145), but anything above 4 it
 represented merely as 'A Suffusion of Yellow.'  Dirk
 was not certain if this was a programming error or an
 insight above his ability to fathom...."