[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Looking for info on Midi card and/or Sound card.

don@augusta.UUCP (Don Law) (05/02/90)

> From: scheer@motcid.UUCP (Jon Scheer)
> Subject: Looking for info on Midi card and/or Sound card.
> Date: 27 Apr 90 18:06:58 GMT
>

>    I've been in a hardware hacking 'mode' lately, and I'm looking for
> information on ...
> 	- Midi card specifications.

FIRST:
I bought a Music Quest PC MIDI card (because it was the cheapest MPU401
compatible I could find - $119).  I ordered the programmer's toolkit
with it for another $40, which includes a 75 page booklet called
"Technical Reference for Music Quest MIDI Interfaces."  It describes
the MPU401 codes, memory layouts, interrupts, I/O requests, etc. etc.
It does a decent job of differentiating standard MPU401 from Music
Quest enhancements.  Here is the "overview:"
     1) MIDI Co-processor card Overview
     2) MIDI Co-processor card hardware
     3) MIDI Co-processor card - functional description
     4) MQX-32 - Functional enhancements [Music Quest specific]
     5) Programming Examples (assembly language)
     6) Appendicies (commands, messages, codes, etc.)

If you don't want the 3 disks full of software that comes with it (source
code included), maybe they would just sell you the booklet.  Contact:
     Music Quest, Inc.
     P. O. Box  260963
     Plano, TX  75026-0963
     (214) 881-7408
Disclaimer:  I have nothing to do with Music Quest other than being a
satisfied customer.

SECOND:
I was researching MIDI sequencers in the local library and ran across a
reference you might find helpful:
     "Build MIDI for IBM PC"
     Byte magazine, vol. 11, June, 1986, page 199.

Hope this helps

--Don Law              dlaw@encore.com              ...!uunet!gould!dlaw
--Ada Development  MS404
--Encore Computer Corporation       ***** In the computer lab,         *****