[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Can I get a .COM file from MSC 5.1?

tte@metaware.metaware.com (Thuan-Tit Ewe) (05/02/90)

In article <3508@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>On the other hand, if you use EXEPACK, or link with /EXEPACK (???) then
>all the relocations will be made for you, as well as some other optimizations
>and you will have many of the benefits of a COM file without the drawbacks.
>I don't really know how EXEPACK works, all I know is the before EXEPACK,
>EXEMOD will show n relocations, and after EXEPACK, EXEMOD will usually show
>zero relocations.
>
>kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
>Kaleb Keithley

EXEPACK works by attaching a piece of code at the back of the packed file.
This code will get control first and proceed to unpack the file above it.
It also keeps it's own relocation table and performs the relocation itself
before jumping to the original program. The compression is not super, but
really works well if your program contain a lot of blank space. Because of
the attached code, you may (although rarely) get a bigger file after
EXEPACK.

-thuan
---
Thuan-Tit Ewe			MetaWare Inc