[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Motor Controller Cards for PC

jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jian Huang) (05/03/90)

In article <7186@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon) writes:
>From: dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon)
>
>I'm trying to track down information on hardware I need to complete
>a project.  I'm looking for pc compatible board to control stepper
>motors.  Each board must be able to control six axes independently
>and accept two enncoder inputs.  Since I need two boards port address
>and interrupts must be at least jumper configurable.

What you need is a very flexible controller card. But most
available cards are somehow user-friendly with little
flexibility. One of fewer exemptions is the card from
Motion Research Institute. It does not have host processor.
PC can access any axis at any time. But you maybe need to
do more work on your PC host. Independence will not be a
problem. But I am not sure about multi-interruption because
controller chip probably doesn't have input buffer. This is
a new product I don't know much about.
BTW, Oregon board is one of the best boards with a very
good command set. I don't know why it is not suitable for
your application?

Good luck.

--
JIAN HUANG                         System Software Engineer
jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu           Klinger Scientific

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (05/05/90)

I just received the "Byte deck" of advertizements from my Byte mag
subscritpion.  One of the pieces of advertizing was from Micromint
Inc, 4 Park St, Vernon CT 06066.  Phone (203)871-6170, Fax (203)872-2204.

They manufacture low-cost experimenter single board computers and
industrial controllers.  One of their products is a Stepper Motor
controller board, for $199.  It is not a PC card, it plugs into a
44-contact edge connector.  But this may suit your needs.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching