[net.space] Light Antennae

KING%KESTREL@sri-unix.UUCP (08/08/84)

From:  Richard M. King <KING@KESTREL>

	I don't see why storage should be considered impractical, since it
is already being done on a large scale.

	We could, for example, only use hydro at night or on cloudy days,
doubling or more the amount you get from a given river.  (Less power is
used at night than during the day.)  The fact that an electric car would
usually never need to be recharged (A roof+hood area of 3-4 square meters
gives about 2KW at noon; if the car has a duty cycle <10%, and most do, it
would never taste an electric outlet!) might make them a winner finally.
Solar shingles would be a real possibility.  (Note that converting sunlight
to electricity and using resistance heat is more efficient than most solar
collectors, if you believe the 75-80% figure.  Also, the efficiency of a
thermal collector falls proportionally to the insolation (virtually nil on a
cloudy day), and this wouldn't.

	An article in Technology Review of about 1 1/2 years ago gave about
3-4 cents/KWH as the cost of the home storage unit (Flywheel, Kevlar, ball
bearings, permanent magnet motor/generator, evacuated) and approx 10 cents/
KWH for the collectors.  (This is from memory; correct me if I'm wrong.)

	With the cells so cheap and efficient we can afford to provide enough
to power our load on cloudy days!

	To summarize, the major uses of energy can adapt well to this source:

ground transport	electric cars with receiver roof
domestic		thermal (600 degree cast iron stores 20 KBTU/cu. ft;
				you need a 4 foot cube to heat a house for
				48 hours)
			electrical (flywheels, batteries, whatever!)
commercial		easier than domestic; less happens at night
heavy industry		store the product!  (Seriously, we would need twice
				as much (say) aluminum smelting capacity to
				meet America's need as we do now (assuming
				existing plants run at night - do they?)
				but the major cost of Aluminum is the
				electricity.

	These comments were jotted down very quickly - pardon any inaccuracies.

-------

> 	I don't see why storage should be considered impractical, since it
> is already being done on a large scale.

Not on anywhere near a large enough scale, and it's very difficult and
expensive.  We still have no really good and efficient way of storing
electricity.

> 	We could, for example, only use hydro at night or on cloudy days,
> doubling or more the amount you get from a given river.  (Less power is
> used at night than during the day.)

Hydro power (and its relative, pumped storage) is about the only bright
spot in energy storage.  But both are relatively expensive and, more
important, applicable only in certain places.

> The fact that an electric car would
> usually never need to be recharged (A roof+hood area of 3-4 square meters
> gives about 2KW at noon; if the car has a duty cycle <10%, and most do, it
> would never taste an electric outlet!) might make them a winner finally.

The problem with electric cars is not recharging, but battery capacity.
The light-antenna scheme wouldn't do anything about this; what's needed
is better battery technology, and it's being very slow in coming.

> 	An article in Technology Review of about 1 1/2 years ago gave about
> 3-4 cents/KWH as the cost of the home storage unit (Flywheel, Kevlar, ball
> bearings, permanent magnet motor/generator, evacuated) and approx 10 cents/
> KWH for the collectors.  (This is from memory; correct me if I'm wrong.)

I can't comment on whether the numbers are right; the problem is that
nobody has ever (to my knowledge) actually built such a thing.  This is
all speculation, not production equipment.

> ground transport	electric cars with receiver roof

Only given much better batteries.

> domestic		thermal (600 degree cast iron stores 20 KBTU/cu. ft;
> 				you need a 4 foot cube to heat a house for
> 				48 hours)

Plus insulation, plus heat-exchange arrangements...  Not trivial, and
again this is not production hardware yet.

>			electrical (flywheels, batteries, whatever!)

"Whatever" is definitely the word for it.  Lots of ideas, but limited
choice when one comes to viable, proven hardware.  Despite years of
effort, too.

> commercial		easier than domestic; less happens at night

Don't forget that commercial buildings, and for that matter apartment
buildings, have much less surface area for the amount of power they use
than ordinary houses.  This may be troublesome.

> heavy industry		store the product!  (Seriously, we would need twice
> 				as much (say) aluminum smelting capacity to
> 				meet America's need as we do now (assuming
> 				existing plants run at night - do they?)
> 				but the major cost of Aluminum is the
> 				electricity.

I'm not sure... but I strongly suspect that a fair bit of the really
heavy industry is running 24 hours/day already, to get maximum production
out of very expensive capital investments.  The major incremental cost of
aluminum definitely is the power, but don't forget capital costs.  I have
no idea how they compare in the aluminum industry, but I know they are
very important in some industries.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket -- the light-antenna notion will be
a big thing, if it's practical -- but don't underestimate the problems
involved in energy storage.  At present the technology really isn't
up to application on a national scale.

Don't forget, also, that the energy storage system and/or the non-solar
backup power sources *have* to be configured for the worst case, not
the average case.  Clouds may not hurt light antennas as badly as they
hurt more ordinary solar power, but they'll still cut the output a lot,
and at the worst possible time too (i.e. very cold weather).
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology