[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] HiRes Mouse Driver

dubose_b@wums.wustl.edu (Bob DuBose) (04/27/90)

In article <49fad291.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, rickh@apollo.HP.COM
(Richard Hohmann) writes:
>     I am trying to write a windowing command processor using my
> VGA's 800x600 mode.  I have Version 6.11 of Microsoft's mouse.com
> driver.  I use INT 33h to acknowledge the mouse driver and I try
> to turn it on with subfunction 01h, giving it a pattern with
> subfunction 09h.  I don't see anything on the screen.  Is this
> because the driver doesn't know about the extended graphics mode
> (mode 58h, I think)?  Is there a newer version of the driver that
> will recognize this mode?  Do I have to write my own (please say
> 'no')?

    No, the MS mouse driver won't support the SVGA modes.  I'd check first
    with the manufacturer of your VGA card to see if they have anything.
    Beyond that, there are a few graphics libraries (like Metawindow) that
    will supply a graphics cursor for a mouse, provided that they support
    your graphics card, if you want to go that route.

Bob DuBose                           dubose_b@wums.wustl.edu
Department of Genetics                    bdb@agar.wustl.edu
Washington University in St. Louis
"1 + 1 it could manage (2) and 1 + 2 (3) and 2 + 2 (4)
 or tan 74 (3.4874145), but anything above 4 it
 represented merely as 'A Suffusion of Yellow.'  Dirk
 was not certain if this was a programming error or an
 insight above his ability to fathom...."

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (05/08/90)

In article <3486.263780bf@wums.wustl.edu> dubose_b@wums.wustl.edu (Bob DuBose) writes:
>    No, the MS mouse driver won't support the SVGA modes.  I'd check first
>    with the manufacturer of your VGA card to see if they have anything.
>    Beyond that, there are a few graphics libraries (like Metawindow) that
>    will supply a graphics cursor for a mouse, provided that they support
>    your graphics card, if you want to go that route.

Does anybody have a mouse driver that supports the SVGA
modes of a Tseng based VGA card (like the Orchid
Pro-designer)?

Thanks,

		Michael Schaap,
		msschaa@cs.vu.nl