[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] config.sys

rui@athena.mit.edu (Christopher Tung) (05/09/90)

Could someone explain to me how the config.sys file works.  On my
computer, I not only
have a config.sys file but also a config.bat file which seems to contain
similar types of
information.  However, when I but all the lines from the config.bat file
into the config.sys file
I get errors when booting up.  why?
Also, is it possible to get on large partition on a hard drive? I have a
72mb hard drive, but
it's partitioned into a 40 mb c: and a 30 mb d: drive.  How can I get
just one c: drive?
Thanks in advance.

***	Chris Tung		rui@athena.mit.edu 		***
***	a.k.a. 			Massachussetts Institute of	***
***	NINJA			  	Technology		***

ganter@urz.unibas.ch (05/10/90)

In article <1990May9.115630.7674@athena.mit.edu>, rui@athena.mit.edu (Christopher Tung) writes:

> Could someone explain to me how the config.sys file works.  On my
> computer, I not only
> have a config.sys file but also a config.bat file which seems to contain
> similar types of
> information.  However, when I but all the lines from the config.bat file
> into the config.sys file
> I get errors when booting up.  why?

Don't know what crazy kind of DOS you are using, but the point is, that
config.sys is loaded and executed BEFORE command.com (or any shell) is loaded
and started. A *.bat file can only be executed under command.com or a compatible
shell.
Could be, that your shell needs config.bat to initialize its system parameters,
because it's too stupid to get it from config.sys or the tables initialized in
RAM. Would be interested to see that exotic kind of file.

> Also, is it possible to get on large partition on a hard drive? I have a
> 72mb hard drive, but
> it's partitioned into a 40 mb c: and a 30 mb d: drive.  How can I get
> just one c: drive?

I'm really wondering what system you have. Normally under DOS vesions below 4.xx
the maximum size of a partition is 32 mb. If you need a larger one, use DOS 4.xx
(Hope you don't, its worse than UNIX...) or use DR-DOS (Digital-Research).

Robert

Robert Ganter
University of Basel
Switzerland
ganter@urz.unibas.ch
All that junk here is my opinion, I get no money (would be fine, if...) of
Digital-Research.