[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] 'C' book

chauk@pepsi.amd.com (Keith Chau) (05/09/90)

I am posting this for a friend .....

Hi,

	I am looking for recommandation on 'C' reference books.  The level
varies from beginners to advanced programmer.  It can be MSC, turbo-C or
ANSI C.  Any suggestion will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

weeks@ssbell.IMD.Sterling.COM (John Weeks) (05/10/90)

In article <1990May9.001249.7465@bach.amd.com> chauk@pepsi.amd.com (Keith Chau) writes:
>	I am looking for recommandation on 'C' reference books.  The level
>varies from beginners to advanced programmer.  It can be MSC, turbo-C or
>ANSI C.  Any suggestion will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

A short list of C reference books has to include:

            _The C Programming Language_, second ed., Brian W. Kernighan and
            Dennis M. Ritchie, Prentice Hall, 1988

 	    _C A Reference Manual_, second ed., Samual P. Harbison and Guy
            L. Steele Jr., Prentice Hall, 1987

            _ANSI C, A Lexical Guide_, Mark Williams Company, Prentice Hall,
            1988

            _C Wizard's Programming Reference_, W. David Schwaderer, John
            Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1985

I am responding to your request for *reference* books, although you mention
users (I assume) from beginners to advanced programmers.  For introductory
material, besides the Kernighan and Ritchie volume, I'd recommend any of
the volumes published by the Waite Group: _C Primer Plus_, _Advanced C
Programming_, etc.

--

John Weeks                                    Phone:  (402) 291-8300
Sterling Software IMD            e-mail: uunet!ssbell!weeks