[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Does Borland consider main an extension to ANSI?

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May24.132459.297@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>Seems that Borland doesn't use their own
>routines when reading a source file so an end of line doesn't happen until
>it sees both a carriage return and a line feed.  I use Turbo C under vpix on
>my Unix system and so my lines end in a single line feed (as God intended :-) )
>and Turbo doesn't like that.  This gives me strange errors when I forget to
>convert the files.

However, Turbo C v1.5 does accept \n or \r\n terminated lines (that's
why I'm still using it), while v2.01 does not.  I hope that Turbo C++
v1.0 and Turbo C v3.0 have this problem fixed.

>The strange thing is that if they were to use their own library and open the
>file as a text file the problem would never happen.

Oh, well, I wish they would fix it since it is extremely useful to
compile from the same source file on DOS and UNIX at the same time.  I
hate having to convert files all the time so that's why I use Turbo C
v1.5 while v2.0 is just sitting on my disk unused.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy