[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] CDSPACE...

nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (05/09/90)

>>Create a file that contains three characters. "c" "d" <space>.
>>No trailing CR+LF!  Put it in \usr\lib\cdspace
>>

>You've told half of the story, but what about the other half? I am
>interested in how you create that \usr\lib\cdspace file. I don't know
>of any smart way to get this done except by a line of C code:

Well, you can just use the DOS ECHO command, like this:

	C:> ECHO "cd " > \usr\lib\cdspace

Or, you could do this:

	C:> Echo "hi mom! :)" > \usr\lib\mommy

:)

 Jim Dunn c/o DSAC-OLC, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002   (614) 238-9713
 Internet: jimdunn@dsac.dla.mil  [131.78.1.1]   FAX: 238-9936  AutoVon 850-9713
 UUCP: ...!osu-cis!dsac!jimdunn    DLA Systems Automations Center, Columbus, OH
 God-Jesus-Holy_Spirit-Universe-Milky_Way-SOL_III-Earth-USA-DoD-DSAC-OLC-Me! :)

jeras@oracle.oracle.com (John Eras) (05/09/90)

In article <2137@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil> nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) writes:
>>>Create a file that contains three characters. "c" "d" <space>.
>>>No trailing CR+LF!  Put it in \usr\lib\cdspace
>>
>>You've told half of the story, but what about the other half? I am
>>interested in how you create that \usr\lib\cdspace file. I don't know
>>of any smart way to get this done except by a line of C code:
>
>Well, you can just use the DOS ECHO command, like this:
>
>	C:> ECHO "cd " > \usr\lib\cdspace

Yeah, right.  Not only does this put in a CR+LF pair, but it also puts in
an excess space and two excess quotes, for a net of 8 characters!  Not
exactly the 3 characters that were desired.  What ECHO are *you* using.
Certainly not the DOS ECHO...

--
AT:    jeras@oracle.com                              | "It's a terrible waste
BANG:  ...{pacbell,hplabs,apple,decwrl}!oracle!jeras | to lose one's .sig, or

mka@cs.odu.edu (Mark K Arquette) (05/09/90)

I don't know what the original problem was but to create the file you
want just do COPY CON CDSPACE then type exactly:
cd ^Z (that is "c" "d" " " CTRL-Z) and you will have a file of 3 characters
length containing only a "c", a "d" and a " "

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (05/09/90)

In article <2137@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil> nol2321@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) writes:

>>>Create a file that contains three characters. "c" "d" <space>.
>>>No trailing CR+LF!  Put it in \usr\lib\cdspace
>>>

>Well, you can just use the DOS ECHO command, like this:
>
>	C:> ECHO "cd " > \usr\lib\cdspace

    Listen, sonny, before you get clever, why don't you try your idea out?
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your "answer" creates a 7 character file
containing the letters <QUOTE>cd<SPACE><QUOTE><CR><LF>.

--

 _
Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development

 96.37% of the people who use statistics in arguments make them up.

person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (05/27/90)

Following this thread brings up an intersting point.  Just how different are
the various versions of DOS?
I once had a paper (from somewhere on simtel?) that talked about the
diffreent versions of dos.  I was surprised at how the companies had managed
to mangle thrir own distribution compatibility wise!

Why the heck isn't there just *one* dos?  Or at least some attempt to
standardise things a little.

lease note that I could be way off base with this, since it was several
monts ago when I read what I seem to remember reading.

Anyway, my original question still stands.  Why so many different flavors?
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University