[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Needing help with Turbo Pascal and MS-Windows

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May22.113556.6777@usenet@kadsma> pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) writes:
>In article <3838@rtifs1.UUCP> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
>>In article <2926@rwthinf.UUCP>, pmk@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Keukert) writes:
>>> I have big trouble. Today, my boss surprised me with the message,
>>> I have to convert a Turbo Pascal 5.0 program into a MS-Windows
>>> program.

>Turbo Pascal doesn't support Windows. However, Microsoft Pascal does.
>Also, there's a chance that TopSpeed Modula2 does also (the TopSpeed C
>compiler supports both OS/2 and Windows).

The Stony Brook Professional Modula2 *DOES* support programming for DOS,
Windows, and OS/2 in one package.  This use to be the only Modula2 which
did support Windows as far as I know it still is.

>I would think that the best choice here would be Modula2, *if* the
>Windows support is there. If not, I'm afraid you're stuck with either
>Microsoft Pascal or Microsoft C.

I also agree that the best choice would be to move to Modula2.

-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) (05/25/90)

There have been several suggestions for this programmer in distress to
move to Modula-2 from Turbo Pascal in order to program for Windows.

There is/was a translator from Turbo Pascal (can't remember which
version) to Modula-2 available from Logitech.  This might help do
most of the work.

Perhaps other netters know of other solutions...

joe@proto.UUCP (Joe Huffman) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May22.113556.6777@usenet@kadsma>, pajerek@usenet@kadsma
(Don Pajerek) writes:

> I would think that the best choice here would be Modula2, *if* the
> Windows support is there. If not, I'm afraid you're stuck with either
> Microsoft Pascal or Microsoft C.

Not true.  Zortech supports windows.  Check your favorite mail order house
or call Zortech US @ 617-646-6703, FAX 617-643-7969. Zortech England @
01-316-7777, FAX 01-317-4138.

Once you get a copy, log onto the Zortech US BBS for Window's class libraries
supplied by users...

---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.
--
joe@proto.uucp
uunet!proto!joe

pajerek@usenet@kadsma (Don Pajerek) (05/29/90)

In article <1296@proto.UUCP> joe@proto.UUCP (Joe Huffman) writes:
>In article <1990May22.113556.6777@usenet@kadsma>, pajerek@usenet@kadsma
>(Don Pajerek) writes:
>
>> I would think that the best choice here would be Modula2, *if* the
>> Windows support is there. If not, I'm afraid you're stuck with either
>> Microsoft Pascal or Microsoft C.
>
>Not true.  Zortech supports windows.

>Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
>competitors cannot be totally without bias.

Great. All DOS products need to support Windows these days.
Remember, however, that the original poster was starting out with
some Turbo Pascal code. If I were in that position, I would rather
port from Pascal to Modula2 that from Pascal to C (translators
notwithstanding).

Don Pajerek