[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Windows 3.0

pfrennin@altos86.Altos.COM (Peter Frenning) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May24.171942.16523@bach.amd.com> phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <2789@hsv3.UUCP> sv@hsv3.UUCP (Steve Verity) writes:
>|Supported modes: 	640x480x256
 >|                        800x600x16
 >|                        720x540x16
 >|                        720x540x256 (512K VRAM only)
 >|                        1024x768x16
 >
 >No 800x600x256?
 >
 >--
 >Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

Nope, I have downloaded the files and there is precisely what's mentioned above
the good news, I suppose, is that they work :-)

+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+
|Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose |   ***** TANSTAAFL *****   |
|2641 Orchard Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134         | There Ain't No Such Thing |
|pfrennin@Altos.COM (..!uunet|sun!altos!pfrennin) | As A Free Lunch (Heinlein)|
+-------------------------------------------------+---------------------------+

Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) (05/30/90)

     This is a question about Windows in general and 3.0 in
   particular.
     The company I am working for is considering writing some
   software using a Windows interface.  We are doing this to get
   maximum device independence and as I understand it, under
   Windows 3.0, to break the 640K barrier as we will be using
   some very large data sets.
     Just some general questions:
     How difficult is it to program in Windows? (i.e. pick up the
   calls and get to know the general stuff.)
     What languages are easily supported, besides MS-C and MS-Pascal?
     How easy is it do do graphics in Windows? (i.e. bar charts,
   pie charts, etc.) Obviously Windows is a graphical interface, but
   how much control over graphics primitives is there?
     Are there useful libraries for this sort of thing?
     And any other information that you could give me would be
   helpful.
     You can E-Mail me or send replies here.  I will try post a
   summary here.  Thanks.

   Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu

   Disclaimer: Why do I need one? everyone else has one!
   Besides, this time, I am sorta speaking for my employer.