[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Programmer's Editor

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (05/25/90)

>weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>>I'm a big emacs fan and have used Vi a bit when freemacs became
>>too cumbersome on the old PC/AT.  Anyway, if anyone would care to comment
>>on their favorite editor, I would appreciate it.  I figured I'd go to the
>>experts.

I recommend an editor which is available for all the systems that you
will be using.  If you are using DOS only then any DOS editor will do
such as vi, ed, freemacs, microemacs, epsilon, brief, kedit, edt, etc...

If you are using multiple platforms then I would suggest that you get an
editor that is available across all platforms.  Assuming that you are
using at least DOS and UNIX then the obvious choices are vi and some
flavour of emacs.  If you have a VAX/VMS system too then you could get
EDT for DOS and UNIX too.  If you have IBM VM/CMS then you can use KEDIT
for DOS which is like XEDIT on CMS.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

rcdsdgx@dutrun.UUCP (Dik Groot) (05/25/90)

Can somebody give me a pointer to an EMACS command file, allowing emacs to
simulate EDT (or KED), the editor from VMS or RSX11 from DEC ?

Thanks,    DikGroot.

--
{ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - disclaimer : I usually lie. }
Dik Groot,   Delft University of Technology,   Rekencentrum,   DUneT.

wilber@nunki.usc.edu (John Wilber) (05/27/90)

I work at Peter Norton Computing, and the only editor I've heard of
the programmers there using is Brief, by Underware - they all swear by
it.  It's available from any good software dealer that supplies
utilities for programmers.  I don't have a copy, though, and have
never used it - I'm not a programmer there (so *the company* won't pay
for it), and I'm a starving student (so *I* can't pay for it).

/************************************************************************\
* John J. Wilber        * You can't lose at solitaire!                   *
* wilber@nunki.usc.edu  * The most difficult part of theory is execution *
* student, partier, and * (Most things are easier said than done)        *
* fun-loving guy.       *                                                *
\************************************************************************/

rja@edison.cho.ge.com (rja) (05/30/90)

In article <930@metapyr.UUCP> it was written:
>If you like emacs as your programmer's editor, consider Epsilon.  I'm not an
>emacs user myself, but I've heard that Epsilon is the mose emacs-like editor
>available for the IBM-PC (except freemacs, of course).

As I think I mentioned a couple of weeks back, I use MicroEMACS everywhere.
It is freely distributable and has appeared in comp.sources.* and is
obtainable via anonymous ftp from various places.  It is supplied in both
source and binary form and the source will compile fine under almost any
dialect of UNIX, VMS, MS-DOS, OS/2, the Amiga, Atari ST, etc.

It is nice to be able to use the same editor everywhere.  It also
will permit the user to shell  out to the OS and have STDOUT from
whatever command was run put into its own window.  Hence it works
nicely with tcc or your favorite command-line compiler....

Internet  (vastly preferable) :         rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM
UUCP (if you've got no choice):         ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
Friday (frai-de) n.  The time when there are 2 days left in the workweek.