[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Microsoft C Mem Model Question

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (06/02/90)

  I have a question for the PC programmers out there that I would be very
grateful if they could answer.

Under what conditions would one consider compiling something in Microsoft C
with the -Alfu option.  This should specify large code, large data model but
also specify SS != DS, DS reloaded on function entry.  When would one use
such a feature in a C program?

  I am updating a program where the libraries have been compiled with such
an option, and I have no idea why.  I would appreciate any help that might
be forthcoming about why they might have been compiled that way.

   Thanks in advance.

				Tom West

				tomwest@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

craigs@cognos.UUCP (Craig Statchuk) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun1.155611.13271@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) writes:

>Under what conditions would one consider compiling something in Microsoft C
>with the -Alfu option.  This should specify large code, large data model but
>also specify SS != DS, DS reloaded on function entry.  When would one use
>such a feature in a C program?

What you are most likely looking at is a library that is ment to be
used in an application like a Microsoft Windows Dynamic Link Library.
It allows programs to linked at run-time to use a particular static data
area but a different run-time stack.

Not very easy to use is it?  (Welcome to the world of WINDOWS PROGRAM
DEVELOPMENT--an oxymoron perhaps?). While programming with DS != SS is
a real pain in MSC V5.1, rumour has it that MSC V6.0 provides some level
of support.

The funny thing about the options given (-Alfu) is that the LARGE memory
model is specified.  This model cannot be used easily with MS Windows.

/CS
--
Craig Statchuk           USENET   : uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!craigs
Cognos Incorporated      INTERNET : craigs%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net