[net.followup] Computer Sightseers

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (02/10/84)

>  Newsgroups: net.general
>  Subject: Computer Sightseers
>  From: castor::covert  (John Covert)
>  		Computer Sightseers Philosophy
>
>  The act of dialing into a computer system is no different than walking
>  up to the front door of a business and asking for a tour.

>  Searching for computer systems by dialing numbers in sequence is also
>  no different than walking down the public streets of a town knocking
>  on doors or dialing telephone numbers in sequence taking a poll or
>  selling a product.
>
>  Unless there are clearly proven attempts by the caller to commit fraud,
>  this activity is no crime.

You're welcome to your moral conclusions (I agree with some of them),
but "this activity is no crime" states a legal conclusion, not a moral
one. Whether or not a crime exists depends on your local statutes. For
example, today in Canada "knocking on [computer] doors" is not a crime.
In a few months it probably will be.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

ado@elsie.UUCP (02/11/84)

	From: castor::covert  (John Covert)
			Computer Sightseers Philosophy

	The act of dialing into a computer system is no different than walking
	up to the front door of a business and asking for a tour.

	If the computer system dialed into allows tourists, that is, it allows
	use of its resources if the caller is either not required to enter any
	identification or is allowed to identify himself as "Guest", "Tourist",
	"User", "Demo" or some such generic name, then the caller should feel
	welcome to use the resources, to take a tour of the machine. . .

If folks with this philosophy lurk near YOUR machine, modify "/etc/getty" and
"/etc/login" to produce:

	No trespassing (posted).
	login:
--
UUCP:	decvax!harpo!seismo!rlgvax!cvl!elsie!ado
DDD:	(301) 496-5688