[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Turbo Products are shipping

rja@edison.cho.ge.com (rja) (06/09/90)

Borland's upgrades to Turbo Debugger (now version 2.0) is shipping
and is in local stores and we have received upgrade copies ordered
about 3 weeks back.

Likewise the upgrade to Turbo C 2.0 (now Turbo C++ 1.0) is shipping
and is in local stores and we have received copies ordered about
3 weeks ago.

Local stores includes SoftWarehouse in McLean, VA which has a
newspaper ad in today's Washington Post for TC++.

streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) (06/10/90)

In article rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
>Borland's upgrades to Turbo Debugger (now version 2.0) is shipping

Does anyone who is "in the know" know if TD 2.0 will work with an upcoming
Turbo Pascal version?  I hate upgrading one month for one language and having
to upgrade the next for another language.

Mark Streich
streich@tigger.colorado.edu

bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) (06/10/90)

In article <9006091405.AA18563@edison.CHO.GE.COM> rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
> [...]
>Likewise the upgrade to Turbo C 2.0 (now Turbo C++ 1.0) is shipping
>and is in local stores and we have received copies ordered about
>3 weeks ago.

   I don't believe you'd call C++ 1.0 an upgrade to C 2.0...  C and C++
are two different creatures altogether!

-Bruce
----
Bruce R. Williams              "Computer Science is not about computers,
University of Utah              any more than astronomy is about telescopes"
(bwilliam@peruvian.utah.edu)                     - Edgar Dijkstra

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (06/10/90)

In <9006091405.AA18563@edison.CHO.GE.COM> rja@edison.cho.ge.com (rja) writes:

>Likewise the upgrade to Turbo C 2.0 (now Turbo C++ 1.0) is shipping

Correction.  Plain Turbo C is still available, at a reduced price even.
Turbo C Professional is gone, but that was just a product bundle, and you can
still buy the pieces separately.

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (06/11/90)

In article <22069@boulder.Colorado.EDU> streich@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mark Streich) writes:
>In article rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
>>Borland's upgrades to Turbo Debugger (now version 2.0) is shipping
>
> Does anyone who is "in the know" know if TD 2.0 will work with an upcoming
> Turbo Pascal version?  I hate upgrading one month for one language and having
> to upgrade the next for another language.

From the Turbo Debugger 2.0 User's Guide:

"To use Turbo Debugger with Borland products, you must have Turbo
Pascal 5.0 or later, Turbo C 2.0, Turbo C++, or Turbo Assembler 1.0
or later."

The "features" list explicitly mentions support for Turbo Pascal 5.5,
which is a fairly recent addition to the Borland line.
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (06/11/90)

<JACOBS.90Jun10133421@cmos.cs.utah.edu>
In article <JACOBS.90Jun10133421@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>"To use Turbo Debugger with Borland products, you must have Turbo
>Pascal 5.0 or later, Turbo C 2.0, Turbo C++, or Turbo Assembler 1.0
>or later."
>
>The "features" list explicitly mentions support for Turbo Pascal 5.5,
>which is a fairly recent addition to the Borland line.

A word of caution.  According to one person I talked with at Borland
on their support line, the latest Turbo Debugger (TD) will not work
with Turbo Pascal (TP) 5.5.  Appearently the TD shiped with TC 2.0
will work.  The moral, if you have TP 5.5, don't throw away your old
copy of TD (or if you recently bought a copy of TP only and have TC
professional, don't throw away the old TD) until you at least verify
yourself or from Borland the new TD will work with your TP.

--
Chuck Noren
NET:     ncar!dinl!noren

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun9.131437.14721@hellgate.utah.edu> bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) writes:
>In article <9006091405.AA18563@edison.CHO.GE.COM> rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
>> [...]
>>Likewise the upgrade to Turbo C 2.0 (now Turbo C++ 1.0) is shipping

>   I don't believe you'd call C++ 1.0 an upgrade to C 2.0...  C and C++
>are two different creatures altogether!

But "Turbo C++ 1.0" *is* a direct "plug-in" replacement for "Turbo C 2.0".
You can simply toss Turbo C 2.0 away because the C++ compiler will complile
the C programs. (Although it is about 15% slower doing so.)

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) (06/12/90)

In Article 1921 toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>But "Turbo C++ 1.0" *is* a direct "plug-in" replacement for "Turbo C 2.0".
>You can simply toss Turbo C 2.0 away because the C++ compiler will complile
>the C programs. (Although it is about 15% slower doing so.)
>
>Tom Almy
>toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
>Standard Disclaimers Apply

Hmmmm, Ok.  A couple of people with C++ have e-mailed me saying that
Turbo C++ will compile a C program... however, most indicate that the
code generated is not the same.  (One said he thought it was better,
another said the opposite).  This begs the question:

   Is Turbo C++ 1.0 an UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT to Turbo C 2.0 ???

The question is especially pertinent to those of us who just purchased
the latter.

An aside:  When it's said that C++ will compile C code, does that mean
that it treats it as a C++ program just with no C++ specific code?
...or does it recognize it as a C program?

Thanks in advance for the info!

-Bruce
----

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (06/12/90)

albert@endor.harvard.edu (David Albert) writes:

> >>.. I did receive an offer to get C++ based on my owning Turbo Pascal!
> >>(BTW, that costs $175 instead of the $125 for Turbo C owners).
>
> Since I just purchased C++ from Egghead for $99, these upgrade
> offers (with or without complete manual sets) do not sound
> particularly good.
----------

The $125 upgrade offer is for the Turbo C++ Professional package,
which includes the assembler, debugger, and profiler.  I think the
$99 C++ to which you refer is only the Turbo C++, not the professional
package.  Getting the Tools package for only $26 more isn't too bad
a deal.

John Hardin
hardin@hpindgh.hp.com
----------

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (06/12/90)

bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) writes:

> I don't believe you'd call C++ 1.0 an upgrade to C 2.0...  C and C++
> are two different creatures altogether!
----------

Borland called it an 'UPGRADE' on the form they sent out to Turbo C
owners offering the special prices for C++ and the Professional
package.  The C++ package also includes the C compiler.  (In the default
configuration it compiles xxx.c with the C compiler and xxx.cpp with
the C++ compiler.)  Also, the 'upgrade' C++ Pro package is not the same
as the one you would get if you bought it from a dealer.  It is missing
a couple of manuals for TASM that had only minor changes from the previous
version.

John Hardin
hardin@hpindgh.hp.com
------

robinson@cs.dal.ca (John Robinson) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun11.152443.22424@hellgate.utah.edu> bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) writes:

>In Article 1921 toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>
>Hmmmm, Ok.  A couple of people with C++ have e-mailed me saying that
>Turbo C++ will compile a C program... however, most indicate that the
>code generated is not the same.  (One said he thought it was better,
>another said the opposite).  This begs the question:
>
>   Is Turbo C++ 1.0 an UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT to Turbo C 2.0 ???

  Borland has already answered your question.  If Turbo C++ 1.0 was a
  replacement, it would probably been called Turbo C 2.5 (or 3.0).

--
*********************                          Be sure to see Middle-age
John Robinson            DoD #0069             Mutant Ninja Reganites

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (06/13/90)

bwilliam%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bruce R. Williams) writes:

> An aside:  When it's said that C++ will compile C code, does that mean
> that it treats it as a C++ program just with no C++ specific code?
> ...or does it recognize it as a C program?

Turbo C++ treats C programs as C.  It tells which compiler to use by
looking at the file extension ( X.C is C, X.CPP is C++).  I tried
compiling an X.C program that contained C++ constructs and got all
sorts of errors.  Renamed it to X.CPP and it compiled correctly.

John Hardin
hardin@hpindgh.hp.com
-------