[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] .SYS Files

rbennet1@gara.une.oz.au (Ethyl the Aardvark) (06/28/90)

     Could someone please tell me how to create .SYS files in MS-DOS so I can
run certain software I have written myself from config.sys.Most of my
programming is done in Turbo Pascal 5.5,with a little done in Turbo C.

                                                 Robert Bennetts
                                                 rbennet1@gara.une.oz.au
                                             OR  rbennet1@neumann.une.oz.au

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (07/01/90)

In article <2367@gara.une.oz.au> rbennet1@gara.une.oz.au (Ethyl the Aardvark) goes quantity surveying:
$     Could someone please tell me how to create .SYS files in MS-DOS so I can
$run certain software I have written myself from config.sys.Most of my
$programming is done in Turbo Pascal 5.5,with a little done in Turbo C.

   Get yourself a copy of _Advanced MS-DOS_ by Ray Duncan.  He discusses
how to write device drivers in a good level of detail.  You probably
won't be able to use Pascal for it, though, and I don't know how hard it
is in C.
--
   /Nikebo \ Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."\silver@xrtll/
  /---------\_____________________________________________________\----------/

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/01/90)

In article <2367@gara.une.oz.au>, rbennet1@gara.une.oz.au (Ethyl the Aardvark) writes:

>      Could someone please tell me how to create .SYS files in MS-DOS so I can
> run certain software I have written myself from config.sys.Most of my
> programming is done in Turbo Pascal 5.5,with a little done in Turbo C.
I am not sure I understand you request, but if all you want to do is run
an executable file that you have written, you could use the install command
which is in MS-DOS 4.01.  I don't know if other versions have it.

	install=[drive:][path]filename [parms]

That command will run the file.

-- cj

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (07/02/90)

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) writes:
$rbennet1@gara.une.oz.au (Ethyl the Aardvark) goes quantity surveying:
$>    Could someone please tell me how to create .SYS files in MS-DOS so I can
$> run certain software I have written myself from config.sys.Most of my
$> programming is done in Turbo Pascal 5.5,with a little done in Turbo C.
$I am not sure I understand you request, but if all you want to do is run
$an executable file that you have written, you could use the install command
$which is in MS-DOS 4.01.  I don't know if other versions have it.

   No, it's new in MS-DOS V4.  However, you can't just load in any file that
way.  There are some rules which must be followed; if you can find a book
that covers programming for DOS 4 at a technical level (the latest copy of
Duncan may do this), it will probably be able to help you out.
--
   /Nikebo \ Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."\silver@xrtll/
  /---------\_____________________________________________________\----------/
 /yunexus!xrtll!silver (L, not 1)\ Hi Ho Silver \   just silver for short   /
/Silver:  Ever Searching for SNTF \  Life sucks. \  someone buy me a BEER! /

JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu (Jeff Siegel, Op from Atherton Hall) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jul2.010333.268@xrtll.uucp>, silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver)
says:

>cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) writes:
>$rbennet1@gara.une.oz.au (Ethyl the Aardvark) goes quantity surveying:
>$>    Could someone please tell me how to create .SYS files in MS-DOS so I can
>$> run certain software I have written myself from config.sys.Most of my

Why do you want to run it from inside config.sys instead of autoexec.bat?

Anyway, I know you can invoke 1 program simply by doing

shell=progname

in Dos versions 3.X on up. I bet doing:

Shell=prog1
Shell=prog2
Shell=command.com ...

will work (as long as prog1 and prog2 terminate normally, but I can't swear
to it.) If it does work, Its a lot simpler than some other things mentioned.

Jeff

jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (07/04/90)

In article <90184.125712JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu> JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu (Jeff Siegel, Op from Atherton Hall) writes:

>   in Dos versions 3.X on up. I bet doing:
>
>   Shell=prog1
>   Shell=prog2
>   Shell=command.com ...
>
>   will work (as long as prog1 and prog2 terminate normally, but I can't swear
>   to it.) If it does work, Its a lot simpler than some other things mentioned.

Well, I've tried it long ago and it doesn't.  When config.sys is run,
the shell lines are the only ones which aren't carried out
immediately, instead they are copied to a buffer, every one overwritig
the last one so you only run the last shell

On dos 4.XX you can do:

Install=prog1
Install=prog2
Shell=command.com
--
Jose Pina Coelho        | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fctunl.rccn.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto      | UUCP: jpc@unl.uucp

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (07/04/90)

In article <90184.125712JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu> JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu (Jeff Siegel, Op from Atherton Hall) writes:
>in Dos versions 3.X on up. I bet doing:
>
>Shell=prog1
>Shell=prog2
>Shell=command.com ...
>
>will work (as long as prog1 and prog2 terminate normally, but I can't swear
>to it.) If it does work, Its a lot simpler than some other things mentioned.

Nope, this will not invoke prog1 or prog2.  I have lots of ``shell=''
lines in my config.sys and only the last one is used.  I move them
around when I want to boot with a different shell.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (07/04/90)

In article <90184.125712JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu>, JXS118@psuvm.psu.edu
(Jeff Siegel, Op from Atherton Hall) writes:

[...]

> Anyway, I know you can invoke 1 program simply by doing
>
> shell=progname
>
> in Dos versions 3.X on up. I bet doing:
>
> Shell=prog1
> Shell=prog2
> Shell=command.com ...
>
> will work (as long as prog1 and prog2 terminate normally, but I can't swear
> to it.) If it does work, Its a lot simpler than some other things mentioned.
>
> Jeff

I'm tired of these perfectly useless postings!

I wonder if you realise the number of people that will actually have to read
your message?  If you did, you would (I hope) avoid to publish your misunder-
standing of the meaning of the posting you were `following up' to, as well as
your wild guesses of `possiblie solutions'!

Your readers will fall into at least two categories:

1) those who will know that you don't know what you're talking about (they
   should simply skip your posting),
2) those who will think ``hey, that's a good thing to know!'' (before seeing
   your magnificient `... but I can't swear to it', that is.)  The day they
   will try to use your beautiful `undocumented feature', they will find out
   it doesn't work.

To both categories, your message has been useless and time-consuming.

As it turns out, you don't ``invoke'' a programm with `shell', you simply tell
what you want to execute *after* config' is done.  Guess you've lost your bet
(what do I win? :-)  (BTW: what is the `install' (DOS 4.0) command for?)

My point is simple enough:  Why didn't YOU try your `solution' before making
a fool of yourself worldwide?  Don't you understand that you're saying as much
as ``try the command `set PRN=filename' to redirect printer output to a file!
I bet it works (but I can't swear to it.)  If it does work, it's a lot simpler
than some other things mentioned.''

Sorry, bad mood today.

Markus Fischer     ---       fisher@sc2a.unige.ch or fisher@cgeuge52.bitnet

tea6219@evtprp0b.UUCP (Terry E. Acker) (07/06/90)

In article <200@sc2a.unige.ch> fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) writes:

>I'm tired of these perfectly useless postings!
>
>I wonder if you realise the number of people that will actually have to read
>your message?  If you did, you would (I hope) avoid to publish your misunder-
>standing of the meaning of the posting you were `following up' to, as well as
>your wild guesses of `possiblie solutions'!
>
>Your readers will fall into at least two categories:
>
>1) those who will know that you don't know what you're talking about (they
>   should simply skip your posting),
>2) those who will think ``hey, that's a good thing to know!'' (before seeing
>   your magnificient `... but I can't swear to it', that is.)  The day they
>   will try to use your beautiful `undocumented feature', they will find out
>   it doesn't work.
>
>To both categories, your message has been useless and time-consuming.
>

>Markus Fischer     ---       fisher@sc2a.unige.ch or fisher@cgeuge52.bitnet

Whoa!  Ease up Markus!  This person is trying to be helpful.  Remember, your
comments are directed toward a living person, not just a keyboard!  Anyway,
a lot of good ideas come from people who "weren't positive" about their
usefulness.  If I post a problem on the net, I would much rather get a great
number of comments, some of which may be incorrect (because the person
didn't have the time to verify it) to sort through, then get none at all!

--
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|Terry Acker                                                     |

bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (07/07/90)

On the subject of the "shell=..." statement in config.sys -- is this
present before version 3.0?  I ask because it is described in the
Toshiba T1000 manual for the built-in DOS 2.11, but attemps to use it
have not seemed to work.
--

--R. T. Bumby ** Math ** Rutgers ** New Brunswick ** NJ08903 ** USA --
  above postal address abbreviated by internet to bumby@math.rutgers.edu

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (07/10/90)

In article <168@evtprp0b.UUCP> tea6219@evtprp0b.UUCP (Terry E. Acker) writes:
>If I post a problem on the net, I would much rather get a great
>number of comments, some of which may be incorrect (because the person
>didn't have the time to verify it) to sort through, then get none at all!

Agreed, but in this case it was very simple to test whether or not it
worked.  Adding the following lines to the config.sys would reveal that
only the last ``shell='' would be recognised:

	shell=c:\dos\tree.com
	shell=junk
	shell=c:\dos\command.com c:\dos /p

You can only specify one top-level shell.