[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] SHELL=...

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (07/10/90)

In article <Jul.6.15.00.32.1990.1996@math.rutgers.edu> bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) writes:
>On the subject of the "shell=..." statement in config.sys -- is this
>present before version 3.0?  I ask because it is described in the
>Toshiba T1000 manual for the built-in DOS 2.11, but attemps to use it
>have not seemed to work.

I know that it has existed since DOS 2.0 and I am fairly certain that
DOS 1.x did not have it, but I don't have a DOS 1.x manual handy to
check it out.  `SHELL=' definitely works on a Toshiba T1000 because that
is what I have.  This is what I have in my CONFIG.SYS file and it works
(note that I use / for path delimiters since DOS 2.11 allows it in
config.sys and setting the switch character using the `switchar='
statement to some character other than / or \ in config.sys causes other
DOS commands to allow / too):

	switchar=-
	device=c:/dos/ansi.sys
	shell=a:/bin/sh.exe -L
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy