[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Avoiding ^P

lfk@athena.mit.edu (Lee F Kolakowski) (07/07/90)

On 6 Jul 90 22:07:20 GMT,
stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) said:
> In article <1990Jul5.171205.2036@tc.fluke.COM> mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) writes:
> [Stuff Deleted]
>>OK, OK, here's the BIG secret to get rid of ^C on the screen.

[more Stuff Deleted]

We have now heard several approaches to cure ^C, none of then
seem to be sure fire. But I am sure they are on the right track.

Now for a new problem....

I use the MKS shell, as I know a lot of you also do.

Occasionally I get a very annoying behavior. In the emacs command line
mode ^P recalls the previous line from the history. Some times when I
press ^P, I toggle the printer on (Dumb Dos behavior, IMHO), instaed
of recalling the previous command. This especially happens when I am
running a program, quit the program and before the command line
returns, type ^P. I my also be screwing things up by using FansiConsole
which replaces parts of the bios code.

Any clues...?

I'd like a little installable device that redefines ^P to a no-op
with respect to the printer.

MKS says they trap it and only when the shell does not have control of
the keyboard, does this happen. So their answer is wait for the shell
to return.

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@athena.mit.edu                     ||      Lee F. Kolakowski    |
|lfk@eastman2.mit.edu                   ||	M.I.T.		     |
|kolakowski@wccf.mit.edu                ||	Dept of Chemistry    |
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu		        ||	Room 18-506	     |
|lfk@hx.lcs.mit.edu                     ||	77 Massachusetts Ave.|
|AT&T:  1-617-253-1866                  ||	Cambridge, MA 02139  |
|                         #include <woes.h>         		     |
|		           One-Liner Here!                           |

glenn@hpldola.HP.COM (Glenn Sisson) (07/11/90)

The ^P "MKS korn shell" vs "toggle-printing" problem has caused me anger
too.  Unfortunately I don't know how to turn of the "toggle-printer"
functionality.  I noticed that slow ^P typing will cause no problem, but
high speed ^P'ing will cause the printer to toggle on.

My quick and dirty band-aid (on my T1000SE laptop) was to use the PCKwik
spooler from Multisoft (it came with the laptop).  It seemed to be the
easiest spooler to deal with when fighting the ^P problem.  It brings up
a popup banner when it can't output to the printer, and I can then type
another couple quick ^P keystokes from ksh to toggle off the printer,
then use the pop-up screen to empty the spoolers buffer and continue.
This is not the best solution, but at least allows recovery from the
problem when no printer is hooked up (I've never had one hooked up to my
laptop anyway).

I found on my table-top 286 PC that at 16 MHz, I can type ^P very fast
and the printer seldom toggles on.  (I also run the spooler on this PC
too.)

So far, I can live with this semi-solution.  I've been meaning to look
into a real solution, but the pain level is fairly low now.

--- glenn