[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Order of CDS entries

dgl292@pallas.athenanet.com (Doug Lee) (07/11/90)

In article <9542@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> dixon@sagittarius.crd.ge.com (walt dixon) writes:
>DOS maitains a data structure refered to as the
>current directory structure (CDS).  This structure is a contiguous
>array of entries for each drive;  its size is set by the LASTDRIVE
>statement (or its default value).  The first entry corresponds to
>drive A:,  etc.  In addition to status (joined, etc),  and then current
>directory,  each entry condains a pointer to the Device Control Block
>(DCB) for the device which in turn points to the Device Header.  Any
>relationship between drive letter and position in the driver chain is
>merely a conincedence.

This brings up a somewhat related question.  I have two floppy drives, a
hard disk with two partitions (C: and D:), and a ram drive (E:).  I want to
make a separate boot partition but with a drive letter other than C.  Since I
gather this is not possible as such, I thought of simply (?) having a
program run at boot time which changes the drive letters in the CDS array such
that the normal C: is something else and I can rename another partition C:.

The question:  Is this possible?  Do I merely have to change drive letters
in the CDS, or would it be necessary to swap entire array structures to
maintain the proper order?

Thanks!

Doug Lee  (dgl292@athenanet.com or uunet!pallas!dgl292)