[net.space] Shuttle Satellite Broadcasts

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (08/22/84)

> Also, a schedule of all shuttle video activities can be obtained
> beginning about 3 days prior to launch by calling 713-280-8711 with a
> computer and modem.  Hope this helps.

Good  stuff!  I tried  it and  got  more  than I  expected.  You  should
mention, though, that before you dial, you must set your terminal to 300
baud (at  least, I had to),  and you  might  want to turn on hard  copy,
save-to-file, or whatever, before connecting.

What kind agency is the provider of this provender?

Alan Silverstein

Isdale.es@XEROX.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (08/23/84)

From:  Jerry <Isdale.es@XEROX.ARPA>

earlier information) sent this update. I thought the Digest readers
would be interested:

~ Jerry

RCA will be transmitting a courtesy feed of NASA's shuttle video/audio
transmissions on SATCOM F4, Transponder #24, DownLink Frequency 4180.0
MHz, 83 degrees west longitude.  SATCOM F4 is a common satellite used by
cable companies as it also carries The Playboy Channel, SportsVision,
ESPN, etc., so they may already be using it.

The broadcast should begin about 6 hours before launch, and there will
be a signal present 24 hours a day, switching between shuttle
video/audio (when they're transmitting), Mission Control, or a set of
color bars with a character generator.

NASA's main satellite for shuttle transmissions has changed from SATCOM
F1R to RCA AMERICOM SATCOM F5 (Aurora), Transponder #13, DownLink
Frequency 3954.5 MHz, 143 degress west longitude.  This is our
western-most satellite and is pointed towards Alaska, so most cable
companies in the continental U.S. probably won't be able to receive an
acceptable signal.  The transmission is also in a special format (video
and data), which is the reason for tuning to the lower downlink
frequency to receive video/audio only and ignore the data.

Also, a schedule of all shuttle video activities can be obtained
beginning about 3 days prior to launch by calling 713-280-8711 with a
computer and modem.  Hope this helps.

Craig Anderson <Anderson.ES@Xerox.ARPA>
Xerox Corp.
213-536-7299