[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Is there anything equivalent to YACC that runs under DOS?

quack@bucsf.bu.edu (Rajeev Dayal) (07/03/90)

I need to find an equivalent to YACC (yet another compiler-compiler) that
runs under DOS and produces ANSI C output...Can anyone help?

I apologize if this question was already asked...Thanks in advance!

-rajeev
quack@bucsf.bu.edu

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (07/07/90)

quack@bucsf.bu.edu (Rajeev Dayal) writes:

>I need to find an equivalent to YACC (yet another compiler-compiler) that

Me too :-)

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au

doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dave Doerschuk) (07/09/90)

In article <1731@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au> bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
>quack@bucsf.bu.edu (Rajeev Dayal) writes:
>>I need to find an equivalent to YACC (yet another compiler-compiler) that
>Me too :-)
>>runs under DOS and produces ANSI C output...Can anyone help?
>>I apologize if this question was already asked...Thanks in advance!
>Me too :-)

OK, gents, two birds with one stone! :-)

There is a yacc-compatible program called bison available from simtel20.
(You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get the yacc vs. bison joke,
I wondered for a couple of weeks, "gee, 'bison', that's a weird name for
a program".  Duh!)

Anyway, this little gem is available on simtel20 and mirror sites.  On
simtel20, its in disk PD1 in directory <MSDOS.TXTUTL> and the filename
is BISON-2.ARC

Hope this helps.
Dave
doerschu@rex.cs.tulane.edu

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (07/10/90)

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) writes:
>quack@bucsf.bu.edu (Rajeev Dayal) writes:
>>I need to find an equivalent to YACC (yet another compiler-compiler) that

>Me too :-)

>>runs under DOS and produces ANSI C output...Can anyone help?
>>I apologize if this question was already asked...Thanks in advance!

>Me too :-)

MKS Lex and Yacc is available for DOS and OS/2 and if you would like
some information then please send mail to `inquiry@mks.com'.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

axt654@csc.anu.oz (07/12/90)

In article <QUACK.90Jul2235252@bucsf.bu.edu>, quack@bucsf.bu.edu (Rajeev Dayal) writes:

> I need to find an equivalent to YACC (yet another compiler-compiler) that
> runs under DOS and produces ANSI C output...Can anyone help?
>
> I apologize if this question was already asked...Thanks in advance!
>
> -rajeev
> quack@bucsf.bu.edu

Yes, It's called YACC. (There are several versions in the public domain).
I've compiled it under TurboC 2.0 and used it for a while, I'd send it to
you if I could find it.

Have a look on Simtel and wuarchive, it must be there somewhere...
I just looked on simtel, there are three, they are called
PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTIL>BISON-2.ARC
PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTIL>LEX_YACC.ARC
PD1:<MSDOS.TXTUTIL>PCBISON.ARC

nb: bison is YACC compatible

Andrew Tridgell

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (07/18/90)

On simtel20:

BISON-2.ARC   B  291152  900103  Bison v1.01, yacc-compatible parser generator
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626