[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Windows 3.0 question: Can you print on an Apple Laserwriter over ATalk?

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (07/26/90)

Is it possible to print on  an Apple Laserwriter Plus from my PC from
Windows 3.0?  Windows 3.0 has the necessary driver for doing this but it would
print only if the printer is connected to either COM or LPT ports, or an EPT
port (what is it?).  In my case the Laserwriter is connected through an
AppleTalk PC card.  I would like to know if I can print on it from Windows.

Thanks for any help from the netters.

Baskaran.

rl@cbnewsl.att.com (roger.h.levy) (08/02/90)

In article <6786@vax1.acs.udel.EDU>, bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:
> Is it possible to print on  an Apple Laserwriter Plus from my PC from
> Windows 3.0?  Windows 3.0 has the necessary driver for doing this but it would
> print only if the printer is connected to either COM or LPT ports, or an EPT
> port (what is it?).  In my case the Laserwriter is connected through an
> AppleTalk PC card.  I would like to know if I can print on it from Windows.

I was trying to get Windows 3.0 to print Postscript for an Apple Laserwriter
into a file today and was unsuccessful.  Is this the same problem?

userHJL2@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Milan Ralitsch) (08/03/90)

In article <6786@vax1.acs.udel.EDU>, bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:
>Is it possible to print on  an Apple Laserwriter Plus from my PC from
>Windows 3.0?  Windows 3.0 has the necessary driver for doing this but it would
>print only if the printer is connected to either COM or LPT ports, or an EPT
>port (what is it?).  In my case the Laserwriter is connected through an
>AppleTalk PC card.  I would like to know if I can print on it from Windows.
>
>Thanks for any help from the netters.
>
>Baskaran.

Yes, it is possible.  We have a MicroExpress 20 MHz 386 with a
LocalTalk adapter, printing to a LaserWriter IINT.  In order to
use AppleTalk, you must have the corresponding driver (the file
name is APPLETLK.DLL, if I remember well).  This driver did not
come with my copy of Windows 3.0, but it came with Word for
Windows.  Unfortunately, unlike Word, the driver is not Windows
3.0 ready, and one has to put up with the annoying message.
However, it works.  If you can get a hold of the driver (it has
a copyright message by Aldus, perhaps try the Aldus forum on
Compuserve), you have to add a line to the [ports] section of
WIN.INI:
AppleTalk=
It must be just as I have written, including capitalization.
After doing this, run windows and use the control panel to
connect the LaserWriter to AppleTalk.  From there on, when you
setup the printer a new button will appear: "AppleTalk".
clicking on this button will give you a dialog box and the
driver will do an AppleTalk scan, looking for all available
printers.  Then you can select the printer you want to use
and print in the usual manner.  Hope this helps.

Milan Ralitsch.     USERHJL2@mts.ualberta.ca