[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] X windows on PCs - Who has the best ??

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (10/01/90)

From: sasjcm@segovia.unx.sas.com (James McNealy)

>I have been looking into this for our QA dept. I saw a demo of a product
>here at the institute called HCL-eXceed Plus, from Hummingbird
>Communications ltd. It was used with FTP's PC/TCP product. HCL-eXceed requires:
>     o   An IBM AT or 386 based PC
>     o   640K RAM below 1 Mb.
>     o   minimum 1 Mb RAM above 1 Mb.
>     o   EGA or VGA
>     o   Microsoft mouse
>     o   hard disk (no size spec.)
>     o   network card that handles tcp/ip
>
>We found that the system above worked well with most of the X systems at
>the institute. I'm not sure of the cost for a site license, I will be
>investigating this issue soon.
>Hummingbird is in Ontario Canada and can be reached at (416)470-1207.

   When I called that number I got a modem carrier.   Is it a real
   company or is it "two guys in their basement"?

   Actually, I don't really care.  I'm looking for a (hopefully)
   cheap X client-server combo that I can use to play around with
   on my PC (386SX, 42M H.D., 4M RAM, MSDOS 3.3).  Hopefully some
   reasonable facsimile of Xlib and some widgets.   I'm basically looking
   for an educational tool.  We already have a perfectly good implementation
   of X here at work but I never seem to have time to play with it since
   I'm often overcome with a perverse desire to actually do "work".
   Moreover, my wife, who was recently laid-off from DG and who already
   has good X skills would like to keep her hand in it while she
   looks for a new job.  (Actually she mostly worked with Motif, but
   I suppose a PC implementation of Motif would be asking too much!)

   So what's the story?  What's out there for X on PC's?  Thanks in
   advance for any pointers.

                                                     ---Peter

gaspo@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Scott Gasparian) (10/01/90)

Well, I'll through my $.02 in.

Here's what we use:

GSS PCXview/16, X-server.
FTP Software's PC/TCP kernel only
Machines include 286@12 and original AT, 386@25

First of all, if you don't have any extended memory, forget it.  Two
xterms and a wm are all you'll get up.  2-4 megs will be fine, and 4
has been more than enough for anything and everything you could want.

Second, VGA or higher.  forget ega. (<-period).  Haven't seen it on a
DIGA or SVGA. (I'm using a 512k VGA and it's great).  Drawback is 16
colors only.

Use a fast ethernet card.  We use WD's 8013EBT (16bit) cards.  8bits
tend to be too-slow.

Fonts are local on the PC, and comes with satandard adobe sets.  I've
compiled all sorts of others w/o any problems (kana14, etc...).

These are the machines I've used to use as clients w/o any problems:
DEC5000, Ultrix 4.0 r176, XR3 and XR4
Sun 3/60, 3.5, XR3 (I think).
Sun SPARC, 4.0 XR4
VAX6000, Ultrix32 v3.1b rev10, XR?
and a slew of others.

Mind you, this is just a server.  No local crunching done.

All in all, decent, relativelly cheap way to get some use out of
the old AT's we had laying around.

Adress:

Graphic Software Systems, Inc.
9590 SW Gemini Dr.
Beaverton, OR 97005
503-641-2200

Ask for Nancy Kirkpatrick, and tell her I sent you.

#include </stnd/disclaimer/theydontpayme.ipaythem>
| Scott "gaspo" Gasparian - Teenage Mutant Ninja Technician |    "back user!"|
| Supercomputer Computations Research Institute             |\   ,_      _/\ |
| 400 SCL, F.S.U., Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052               |/ _/ '__       \|
| gaspo@ds1.scri.fsu.edu     | "I do NOT do lunch, I do NOT ||/  / ,,"   __o/|
| gaspo@scri1.scri.fsu.edu   | wear 'power ties', and I do  | \_\|_\,     /  |
| (904) 644-4277 / 222-5630  | NOT EVER do COBOL! Get it?!" | /+-+-\    _/\_ |