[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Power-C and other cheap C compilers

stu870344@gcc.uucp (Yngwie) (04/10/91)

     I am in the market for a reasonably priced C package.
I am considering buying POWER C by Mix Software.  Does anyone
have any comments about POWER C or any suggestions for other
cheap C compilers??  I'm just learning C, so I need a pretty
good manual to lead me through the language.

     Any information about affordable C compilers (affordable
meaning less than $100) or references to help me in my trek
through C will be most graciously appreciated.

Sincerely your friend I.

|   Lee Minich            Internet: stu870344%gcc@edinboro.edu      |
|   Grove City College    Uucp: ...pitt!edinboro!gcc!stu870344      |

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (04/10/91)

From article <777@gcc.uucp>, by stu870344@gcc.uucp (Yngwie):

>      I am in the market for a reasonably priced C package.
> I am considering buying POWER C by Mix Software.  Does anyone
> have any comments about POWER C or any suggestions for other
> cheap C compilers??  I'm just learning C, so I need a pretty
> good manual to lead me through the language.
>
>      Any information about affordable C compilers (affordable
> meaning less than $100) or references to help me in my trek
> through C will be most graciously appreciated.

I've been thinking about this.  Does the POWER C support the pascal
calling convention.  additionally, does the compiler support
altering the segment names?  (If you read between the lines, I
think we could make a MS SDK compatible compiler out of this
Hmmmmm......

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/11/91)

From article <1991Apr10.141921.11865@ccad.uiowa.edu>, by cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI):
> From article <777@gcc.uucp>, by stu870344@gcc.uucp (Yngwie):
>>
>>      I am in the market for a reasonably priced C package.
>> I am considering buying POWER C by Mix Software.  Does anyone
>> have any comments about POWER C or any suggestions for other
>> cheap C compilers??  I'm just learning C, so I need a pretty
>> good manual to lead me through the language.
>>
>>      Any information about affordable C compilers (affordable
>> meaning less than $100) or references to help me in my trek
>> through C will be most graciously appreciated.
>>

> I've been thinking about this.  Does the POWER C support the pascal
> calling convention.  additionally, does the compiler support
> altering the segment names?  (If you read between the lines, I
> think we could make a MS SDK compatible compiler out of this
> Hmmmmm......

Well, for $20, the manual alone for Power C is worth it.  I have
used it for 3 years and wrote BIG programs with interfacing to
BIG machine assembler routines (limited to 64k chunk, though, I
had to separate them into 5 chunks).  It is great for home
and small office use. .

scotte@locus.com (Scott D. Eberline) (04/11/91)

From article <777@gcc.uucp>, by stu870344@gcc.uucp (Yngwie):
> I am considering buying POWER C by Mix Software.  Does anyone
> have any comments about POWER C or any suggestions for other
> cheap C compilers??  I'm just learning C, so I need a pretty
> good manual to lead me through the language.

I've been generally pleased with Power C.  I've been *very* pleased with
the Power C-Trace debugger, available for another $20 or so, and I wish
it supported CodeView-format debugging data.

>      Any information about affordable C compilers (affordable
> meaning less than $100) or references to help me in my trek
> through C will be most graciously appreciated.

DJ Delorie's freely distributable port of GNU gcc/g++ to DOS has attracted
a lot of attention recently.  It does require a 386 or 486, but it comes
with a DOS extender.

In article <1991Apr10.141921.11865@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>altering the segment names?  (If you read between the lines, I
>think we could make a MS SDK compatible compiler out of this

Won't fly, Orville.  The documented compiler switch to generate .OBJ object
files instead of .MIX is not implemented.  The compiler has a hard-coded
symbol table size that barfs on windows.h.  There's no way to generate the
windows function prefix code a la CL /GW.

Mix Tech Support tells me that they are working on a Mix MSWindows Toolchest,
but have no dates set yet.
--
Scott D. Eberline		scotte@locus.com  or  uunet!lcc!scotte

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (04/12/91)

In article <777@gcc.uucp>, stu870344@gcc.uucp (Yngwie) writes:

>      I am in the market for a reasonably priced C package.
> I am considering buying POWER C by Mix Software.  Does anyone
> have any comments about POWER C or any suggestions for other
> cheap C compilers??  I'm just learning C, so I need a pretty
> good manual to lead me through the language.
>
>      Any information about affordable C compilers (affordable
> meaning less than $100) or references to help me in my trek
> through C will be most graciously appreciated.
>
> Sincerely your friend I.

> |   Lee Minich            Internet: stu870344%gcc@edinboro.edu      |
> |   Grove City College    Uucp: ...pitt!edinboro!gcc!stu870344      |

 I use POWER-C on my XT and I have found it to be more SYS5 like than Turbo-C.
The libraries are extensive and the manual has examples of all the functions.

I have used both Turbo-C and Power-C, what you don't get with Power-C is the
 fancy graphics. Since the world is crazy about graphics, this may be a
consideration. But if you want to learn C try the Power-C - its the best $10
you'll ever spend.

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

wojtowic@cs.unca.edu (David Wojtowicz) (04/14/91)

In article <777@gcc.uucp> Lee Minich writes:

>     I am in the market for a reasonably priced C package.
>I am considering buying POWER C by Mix Software.  Does anyone
>have any comments about POWER C or any suggestions for other
>cheap C compilers??  I'm just learning C, so I need a pretty
>good manual to lead me through the language.
>
>     Any information about affordable C compilers (affordable
>meaning less than $100) or references to help me in my trek
>through C will be most graciously appreciated.
>
>Sincerely your friend I.
>
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|   Lee Minich            Internet: stu870344%gcc@edinboro.edu      |
>|   Grove City College    Uucp: ...pitt!edinboro!gcc!stu870344      |
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Power C isn't the best C compiler around but it is VERY GOOD for what
you pay for it.  Perfect for learning C.  I learned C using Power C.
I think the manual is great.  It gives a workable piece of example
code with each and every C library function in the reference section.
(Something Turbo hasn't done until just recently with the release of
C++)

Some limitations...Doesn't have a fancy integrated environment like
Turbo or Microsoft.  You have to edit the source code in your favorite
editor and then compile from the command line.  Doesn't have a fancy
graphics library like Turbo does although it does have basic graphics
functions. [Note: check the ads...they may have added such features since
I purchased mine about 2 years ago.]

Some advantages...The EXE's it produces from your code are both fast
and efficient.  It includes a large set of library functions.
You don't have to learn how to use the fancy environment.
Power Ctrace (Mix's companion debugger) is excellent.  This by the way
is a must.  Ctrace is a cheap addition and well worth the money.
Unlike the compiler it is a fancy interactive program the lets you
watch it execute your code while you can inspect or change the contents
of variables while its running.  It has saved me many hours of frustration
because I could spot what was going wrong in the program.  The other
compilers have a similar thing but having tried them, they aren't much
better than Ctrace for the extra money you pay.

Anyway...Power-C is a great deal.  I use Turbo myself now at work
since I need the fancy environment at graphics.  I've recommended
Power-C to two other people who were learning C and they seem to like
it.  What have you got to lose with the low price.  Unless the price
has gone up much since I purchased it, the manual is worth the price
alone.  If you grow out of it you can always purchase one of the
others when you know what you're looking for.

Hope this info is of some help.

David Wojtowicz
Atmospheric Science Dept.
UNC-Asheville