[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] Missing mouse cursor.

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) (06/24/91)

I have a really wierd problem.  I have a 386 with a Quadtel Bios, and
all has gone perfectly, until I tried Cscape (the demo version).  It
works properly, but the mouse cursor is not visible!  By running the mouse
around the table, various things light up, but of course you can't use it
properly because you don't know where you are.  This is so in both text
and graphics modes.  I have Wordperfect, Drawperfect, Quick C, Topspeed C,
Metawindows, and lots more, all of which work perfectly with the mouse.

Any suggestions would be _greatly_ appreciated!

--
Regards,

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.usq.edu.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) (06/25/91)

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) writes:

>I have a really wierd problem.  I have a 386 with a Quadtel Bios, and
>all has gone perfectly, until I tried Cscape (the demo version).  It
>works properly, but the mouse cursor is not visible!  By running the mouse
>around the table, various things light up, but of course you can't use it
>properly because you don't know where you are.  This is so in both text
>and graphics modes.  I have Wordperfect, Drawperfect, Quick C, Topspeed C,
>Metawindows, and lots more, all of which work perfectly with the mouse.

>Any suggestions would be _greatly_ appreciated!

>--
>Regards,

>Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.usq.edu.au)
>(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)

As far as I know, the appearance/disappearance of the mouse cursor, at least
for Microsoft mouse, has to do with INT 33H. Check to see if you have any
hardware/software that uses this interrupt vector as well.

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.toronto.BITNET

everett@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Everett Kaser) (06/25/91)

Some mouse drivers have extended video BIOS stuff in them for writing to
EGA registers (since the original EGA registers were read only).  If you
have code that doesn't make use of these calls, that might be part of the
problem.  (ie, code that talks straight to the EGA hardware itself can
have problems with some combinations of display cards and mouse drivers.)

Everett Kaser                   Hewlett-Packard Company
...hplabs!hp-pcd!everett        work: (503) 750-3569   Corvallis, Oregon
everett%hpcvra@hplabs.hp.com    home: (503) 928-5259   Albany, Oregon