[comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer] printing to Postscript

dent@DIALix.oz.au (Andrew Dent) (06/25/91)

G'Day all

How do I print to a postscript printer from, say, a Turbo Pascal
program? My PC programs haven't had to do this kind of printing
and the only environment I've used which had postscript was on Mac
where you just draw your image and the driver takes care of the
rest.

In a non-Windows environment, are there drivers available off the
shelf for Postscript, or libraries I can link to my code?

C or Pascal answers gratefully received.

I would also appreciate references to good books on this subject,
so far my PC programming has been limited to database filters and
other "computational" problems, which didn't go anywhere near the
printer.

Thanks in Advance

Andy Dent
A.D. Software
(09) 249 2719
94 Bermuda Dve, BALLAJURA  Western Australia 6066
dent@DIALix.oz.au

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun) (06/26/91)

dent@DIALix.oz.au (Andrew Dent) writes:

>G'Day all

>How do I print to a postscript printer from, say, a Turbo Pascal
>program? My PC programs haven't had to do this kind of printing
>and the only environment I've used which had postscript was on Mac
>where you just draw your image and the driver takes care of the
>rest.

>In a non-Windows environment, are there drivers available off the
>shelf for Postscript, or libraries I can link to my code?

>C or Pascal answers gratefully received.

>I would also appreciate references to good books on this subject,
>so far my PC programming has been limited to database filters and
>other "computational" problems, which didn't go anywhere near the
>printer.

>Thanks in Advance

>Andy Dent
>A.D. Software
>(09) 249 2719
>94 Bermuda Dve, BALLAJURA  Western Australia 6066
>dent@DIALix.oz.au

I'll give you a C answer then :-)

#include <stdio.h>
main ()
{
   char[80]	book_to_read, sending_to_postscript_printer, reason;

   book_to_read = "PostScript Reference from Adobe, the red book";
   sending_to_postscript_printer = "sending plain ascii to printer port";
   reason = "PostScript is itself pure ascii, no trick, not binary encoding";
}

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.toronto.BITNET