[list.netnws-l] Just installed NetNews 2.0

Linda Littleton <LRL%PSUVM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> (02/13/90)

Mark Woodruff <MARK@UCF1VM.BITNET> wrote:

>1.  The "spellit" PF key doesn't work, nor is there any documentation
>as to how to make it work.

Guess I should distribute PFKEYS files without the keys that are special
for PSU.

>2.  The PFTOOL Xedit macro is missing for the "prefix" PF key.

Same answer as 1, but in this case you can request PFTOOL XEDIT from our
Listserv.  The Pftool "prefix" routine is just trivial code that turns
the prefix area on and off.

>3.  The documentation needs to mention that the reader needs to be
>spooled class * for the server machine.

This is there, in the part that says how to set up the directory.

>4.  The T-disk space requirement should be mentioned in the Installation
>Procedure.

Fixed distribution NNPROF EXEC to have a comment on this in it.

>5.  The various execs use STATE and STATEW instead of ESTATE and ESTATEW.

ESTATE is just needed for really big files and is used where needed.

>6.  The Installation Procedure should mention that the help files should
>go on the public disc.

I would think this would be obvious.

>7.  If the NetNews disc is already linked and accessed, the execs try to
>link and access it again under a different mode.

If you enter and exit the user interface properly, you shouldn't have any
of the disks still linked/accessed.

>8.  The execs try to send a message to POOLSERV for some reason.

POOLSERV is a server we use here to collect messages sent to it into files
(according to what is on the message) and then forward files of these messages
to the "file owner".  We use it to collect data on what groups are being read
and to keep track of errors in VLIB access.

>9.  The copyright notice in the User's Guide contains &copyright instead
>of the copyright symbol.

Thanks.

>10.  COMMENT: messages are sent with MSG instead of MSGNOH even when
>class B is available.

I'll put it on my list to change later.

>11.  The moderator for LISTSERV groups is documented under "Handling
>Listserv Lists from NetNews" as being "<listname> AT <listsite>"
>rather than <listname>@<listsite>.

Thanks, fixed.

>Does anyone if NetNews can handle Internet lists (e.g. SF-LOVERS)?

If it comes via the mailer, has filetype 'MAIL', and gets rc=6 from RDR,
then it ought to work ok.  Perhaps it should have a name other than
bit.listserv.  Maybe name it bit.internet.sf-lovers.  Doing the renaming
would take a small coding change which I will do if we can reach a
consensus on this.  I'll write something separately about the bit groups.