Linda Littleton <LRL%PSUVM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> (02/13/90)

The following lists, which are gatewayed from Listserv to Netnews at
PSUVM, have been getting duplicate postings.  Anyone have any ideas
what's going on?  Is someone feeding from Netnews back out to Listserv?

minix-l, christia, apple2-l, games-l, frac-l, pagemakr

Some (like minix-l) seem to have every article duplicated; others
(christia, pagemakr) just get an occasional duplicate.

Edward Vielmetti <emv@MATH.LSA.UMICH.EDU> (02/13/90)

> minix-l, christia, apple2-l, games-l, frac-l, pagemakr

I looked in my spool and saw a pagemakr duplicate.  This
is the only difference between the two articles:

*** 25	Wed Feb  7 06:17:16 1990
--- 26	Wed Feb  7 06:18:09 1990
***************
*** 2,8 ****
  From: U26264@UICVM.BITNET (Grant Hoover)
  Newsgroups: bit.listserv.pagemakr
  Subject: Fontware for Pagemaker (PC)
  Date: 4 Feb 90 08:13:00 GMT
  Sender: PageMaker for Desktop Publishers <PAGEMAKR@INDYCMS>
  From: U26264@UICVM.BITNET (Grant Hoover)
  Newsgroups: bit.listserv.pagemakr
  Date: 4 Feb 90 08:13:00 GMT
  Sender: PageMaker for Desktop Publishers <PAGEMAKR@INDYCMS>

If I read the Message-ID right, this message was processed
twice in short order by someone (the gateway, it looks like)
and two different IDs put on the same message.  Two IDs, two
different messages to news.

As far as apple2-l goes, I see what looks to be a big collision
here.  My site got parts 1 and 2 of Copykill in comp.binaries.apple2,
and part 3 only in bit.listserv.apple2-l.  This listserv should
be gatewayed at only one place into netnews, and cross-posted
properly into both as to avoid missing articles in either.

--Ed
Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan Math dept.