[list.netnws-l] Proliferation of bit groups

"Catherine A. Foulston" <cathyf@rice.edu> (02/20/90)

In article <NETNWS-L%90021612411951@NDSUVM1.BITNET> Linda Littleton <LRL@PSUVM.B
>Currently PSUVM gateways about 130 Listserv lists into Netnews.  Historically,
>we have added these gateways whenever anyone asked for them.  Should we have
>more controls on adding bit groups or should we (and other Netnews sites)
>continue to add them as people request them?  Let's discuss.

I do think there should be some form of control.  I keep finding articles
with newsgroup names in bit.listserv for which I've never seen a newgroup
control message.  And it seems some admins want to create a net-wide bit
group every time the subscription of a list reaches five users.  This is
likely to result in a chaotic jumble of groups.  I think a couple of things
need to happen before a particular bit group is created:

1.  There needs to be some consensus among netnews admins that the group
will have sufficient readership to be worth distributing via netnews.
As has been discussed, netnews is more efficient for a widely-read group,
but for only a few subscribers, mail is better.  Since I have little
experience with bitnet/netnews/listserv, I won't attempt to say how such
a consensus should be reached in the bitnet world.  I certainly wouldn't
wish news.groups upon bitnet.  (It's often more like news.groups.flamewars.)

2.  The group needs to be gatewayed properly.  There needs to be an
established method for telling the gatewayer that a group is being
created, and where its moderator is.  Perhaps the newgroup message is
sufficient, as long as everybody knows to include the relevant details
in the message and as long as they know this message will reach the
gatewayer.  And the newgroup message needs to get out to the usenet side.

I also agree that cross-posting of articles that need to be in more than
one group must happen somehow.  Given a choice between duplicating the
articles and having half the articles missing from each group, I'd pick
the former.  But hopefully we can work out a way to crosspost correctly
and avoid both problems.

-----

Someone wondered why we usenet people would want the bit.all hierarchy.
Here are our (Rice's) reasons:

-Spool space.  If we can convince everyone to read news from unix, then
we can have one news spool and everyone on campus can read from it over
the network.  (Though it looks like the only way to get all our VM/CMS
users to do this will be to write an NNTP-based newsreader for CMS.  Not
everyone can get a unix account.)

-Read all the news in one place.  We don't have room on ricevm1 for all the
usenet groups.  If we didn't have the listserv groups on the usenet side,
some of us would have to read some of our news from unix and some from
CMS.  And some people would simply rather use one of the unix newsreaders.
(Including me - I have no particular gripes with netnews, I'm just used
to unix and rn.)

-Only have to administer one news system.  I've been running usenet news
since June, and a month ago netnews was given to me as well.  So now I
take care of both.  I'd rather just have one.  Of course, it's been a
useful learning experience, since before I started, I knew around five
CMS commands.  :-)

-----

I'm glad all this is happening.  I think it's great that we're improving
the communication between Bitnet and Usenet.  I think both communities
will benefit.

Cathy Foulston
cathyf@rice.edu            cathyf@ricevm1
--
Cathy

Jim McIntosh <JIM@AUVM.bitnet> (02/20/90)

On Fri, 16 Feb 90 13:38:00 EST Linda Littleton said:
>Currently PSUVM gateways about 130 Listserv lists into Netnews.  Historically,
>we have added these gateways whenever anyone asked for them.  Should we have
>more controls on adding bit groups or should we (and other Netnews sites)
>continue to add them as people request them?  Let's discuss.

I was not aware that the bit.listserv.all groups were moving onto Usenet.
As  a simply  internal BitNet  vehicle I  think the  NETNEWS distribution
makes a  lot of  sense.

I have found  that groups of users  will subscribe to a  Listserv list at
the same  time. I  would imagine  that someone tells  his or  her friends
about a  list they've  found, or  a professor mentions  a list  in class.
(Sometimes these clustering of subscriptions  don't make much sense. Over
half of our mainframe computer  operators, for example, are subscribed to
the MEDNEWS list.)  A significant amount of our spool  space is dedicated
to incoming e-mail, and  most of this is Listserv traffic.  A scan of the
mail waiting in our spool shows that  much of the mail is coming from the
same lists.

Since we have  a backbone Listserv here, we don't  save network bandwidth
by using  NETNEWS if any  of our neighbors  have users subscribed  to the
list,  but we  do save  spool space.  Our users  gain a  much nicer  user
interface; their  mailboxes are  reserved for personal  mail; they  get a
built-in 14 day  archive; and they have the ability  to read list traffic
without having to subscribe to a list.

I have, therefore, moved our  Listserv documentation into the background,
and have tried to promote NETNEWS as  the tool for people to keep current
on list traffic. I have subscribed  NETNEWS to those lists which had more
than a couple of subscribers. This was, as I said, without realizing that
the groups were being passed to Usenet.

I find  it a  little frightening  that I can  create a  Usenet newsgroup,
although  I guess  everyone has  that power  in the  alt.all groups.  The
groups I  recently added  all had  multiple subscribers  here at  AUVM. I
could have added them as au.bit.ls.all (which would not be distributed to
other NETNEWS sites) and could always  rename them if other sites have no
interest in them.

I'm not  sure, however, how to  determine whether a group  is widely read
(or would be  if it were available in NETNEWS).  Perhaps only lists which
have more than "50" subscribers (or some arbitrary number) should be sent
to NETNEWS  as a whole. If  a list has  less than "x" subscribers  then a
site should add it  as a local group if they wanted  to make it available
to local  NETNEWS users.  The number  of subscribers  can be  obtained by
asking the host listserv "REVIEW listname (SHORT". This could be enforced
(if we need  to have it enforced) by only  gatewaying groups into NETNEWS
at PSUVM  (since they are doing  the majority now) or  some other central
site.

I'd be willing  to check the number  of subscribers to the  lists I added
here, if others think that it is a good idea.

Jim McIntosh (JIM@AUVM)
The American University
Washington DC 20016 USA

"Leonard H. Tower Jr." <tower@BUITA.BU.EDU> (02/23/90)

In article <9002170815.AA18201@caesar.cs.montana.edu> NETNWS-L Netnews List <NET
|However, possibly looking into 'renaming' the groups -- not the lists --
|could be useful, as whole hierarchies of groups could be ignored at will.

If it's decided to rename the groups, I suggest you merge them into
the inet distribtuion of the mainstream 7 news hierarchies.  This
would fit them into the naming scheme used USENET wide.  This scheme
isn't optimal, but it's what most of the users know and has worked
well enough.

The bit hierarchy and the inet distribution are quite similar in the
problems they are trying to solve, as well as the way they work and
are administered.

The nntp-managers list (where inet distribution issues have been
discussed) could help with name selection and review.  I be happy to
coordinate such a renaming (I've been involved in USENET naming
issues since 1982).

If this happens, it probably be wise to set up a new inet-news mailing
list to coordinate the enlarged distribution and let the nntp-mailing
list remain focused on nntp issues.

I've appended some info on the inet distribution.

thanx -len
From: spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford)
Newsgroups: news.lists,news.groups,news.announce.newusers
Subject: Alternative Newsgroup Hierarchies  (Updated: 16 Feb 1990)
Date: 17 Feb 90 05:03:53 GMT
Expires: 18 May 90 05:03:52 GMT
Supersedes: <9708@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>

[Most recent change: 16 Feb 1990 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

Introduction
------------
The Usenet software allows the support and transport of hierarchies of
newsgroups not part of the "traditional" Usenet through use of the
distribution mechanism. These hierarchies of groups are available to
sites wishing to support them and finding a feed.  In general, these
groups are not carried by the entire network due to their volume, a
restricted sphere of interest, or a different set of administrative
rules and concerns.

In general it is a bad idea to forward these newsgroups to your
neighbors without asking them first; they should only be received at a
site by choice.  Not only is this generally-accepted net etiquette, it
helps to preserve the freedom to do and say as the posters please in
these newsgroups, since the only people who get them are those who
asked to get them.  This freedom is more restricted in the Usenet as a
whole, since every mainstream posting and every mainstream newsgroup
name must be acceptable to a much wider audience than is present in
these hierarchies.   Due to the sheer size of the mainstream Usenet,
extra-long or controversial postings are more likely to cause problems
when posted to the Usenet; however, these alternative hierarchies exist
precisely to support those kinds of postings (if germane to the
hierarchy).

Usually, there is is no restriction on getting these groups as long
as you have the capacity to receive, store, and forward the groups;
2.10.3 or 2.11 news is required to make the distribution mechanism
work properly for these groups.  How to join each distribution is
described below.

Note that the "uunet" service carries all of these hierarchies.
Contact uunet!uunet-request for subscription details.

Also note -- the lists in this article are totally unofficial and
possibly incomplete or inaccurate.  I try to keep the lists up-to-date,
but make no guarantee that any of the information contained corresponds
with the named groups in any significant way.  Corrections and comments
should be mailed directly to me.

..Text.Deleted...

Inet/DDN
--------
Another alternative hierarchy is the "inet/ddn" distribution.  This
consists of many newsgroups bearing names similar to traditional Usenet
groups and corresponding to Arpa discussion lists.  These groups are
circulated using the NNTP transport mechanism amongst sites on the
Internet in an attempt to reduce the number of copies of these groups
flowing through the mail (some sites get these groups via UUCP and
other tranpost mechanisms, but the volume can be substantial and load
may be significant without a high-speed link).  Further details may be
obtained by writing to Erik Fair (fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu).

Current inet groups are:

ddn.mgt-bulletin        The DDN Management Bulletin from NIC.DDN.MIL (Moderated)
ddn.newsletter          The DDN Newsletter from NIC.DDN.MIL (Moderated)

..Text.Deleted...

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,