[list.netnws-l] Moderated groups and other things

Jeffery Bacon <BACON@MTUS5.bitnet> (02/22/90)

     'allo one and all.

     Questions for the mob: (All related to PSU netnews V2)

     1) I know that netnews deals with moderated groups via the NETNEWS
DESCRIPT file; where do I find out which groups are moderated/what address
netnews should use? Or am I totally out in left field?

     2) does netnews provide internally any cheap and easy mechanism for
                                       ^ (Or external, I don't care, anything)
interfacing with listserv/internet groups? Say, for example, there's this
internet mailing list that I want to pipe into netnews. It's not gated to
usenet anywhere. I don't want to distribute it anywhere, just local
consumption only.
     I realize I could have a separate DVM sub to the list, tell netnews that
the DVM is the group moderator, then write a chunk of code to process files
both ways; relatively trivial. But you might guess correctly that I could
be a lot more excited about the idea than I am now. (I hate to start YADVM
for it, but I can deal with that; I just really don't want to write the code,
especially if someone else has already.)

     3) Why is it that the netnews code deals so poorly with being crunched?

     Cheers.

Jeffery Bacon -- Computing Technology Svcs., Michigan Technological University
email- bacon@mtus5.bitnet     voice: (906)487-2110   HACK!v fax: (906)487-2787
alternate-  uucp: <world>!itivax!anet!bacos  domain: bacos%anet@itivax.iti.org

Linda Littleton <LRL@PSUVM.bitnet> (02/23/90)

>     1) I know that netnews deals with moderated groups via the NETNEWS
>DESCRIPT file; where do I find out which groups are moderated/what address
>netnews should use? Or am I totally out in left field?

Issue: TELL LISTSERV AT PSUVM GET NETNEWS MODERATO

>     2) does netnews provide internally any cheap and easy mechanism for
>                                       ^ (Or external, I don't care, anything)
>interfacing with listserv/internet groups? Say, for example, there's this
>internet mailing list that I want to pipe into netnews. It's not gated to
>usenet anywhere. I don't want to distribute it anywhere, just local
>consumption only.

Listserv lists are handled automatically.  See documentation in NNADMIN
LISTING.  Some Internet lists can be handled as well, though you might need
to rework the code some.  See routine CheckRdrFile in NNSERVER EXEC.