From: tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence)
Newsgroups: comp.hypercube.ctl
Subject: rmgroup comp.hypercube
Date: 27 Feb 90 08:14:07 GMT

This group neither exists in Spaf's newsgroup lists nor was recently
voted into existence.  Please remove it, at least in consideration of
minimising your own users' confusion.

Linda Littleton <LRL@PSUVM.bitnet> (02/28/90)

>Every so often NETNEWS ARTICLEs appear in my reader as the NETNEWS
>administrator.  Could someone tell me why and under what circumstances
>that this happens.

All articles with a "Control:" tag in the headers, except for a "Control:
newgroup" for an unmoderated group, are sent to the administrator for
handling.  The article you listed had a "Control: rmgroup", telling you
that the group is being removed.  On other systems, 'rmgroup' is handled
automatically.  We decided not to, to avoid wars between people doing
'newgroup's and people doing 'rmgroup's.  So, you need to examine the
'rmgroup', and if it makes sense to you that the group should be removed,
issue SMSG NETNEWS RMGROUP <groupname>.