[bit.listserv.l-hcap] Handicap Digest # 1093

wtm@decvax.dec.com (Bill McGarry) (02/13/90)

                          THE HANDICAP DIGEST

                               Issue # 1093

                      Tuesday, February 13, 1990

Today's Topics:

                                ******

                                Re: TC?
                        Re: sometimes we win...
                            Re: TRAVELLING
                              Re: Hearing
      Information on using computers to help handicapped wanted.
                 brailler to pc interface question...
                        Re: Lip reading on TV.
                           Re: YOUR MESSAGE
                        Re: Lip reading on TV.
                            Re: A NEW CANE

                                ******

To subscribe to the Handicap Digest mailing list or have your
thoughts in the next issue, please send electronic mail to
Bill McGarry at any of the following addresses:

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm!bunker.uucp      l-hcap@vm1.nodak.edu
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
	    (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

                              Bill McGarry (Moderator)
                              (203) 337-1518

------

Subject: Re: TC?
Written by: Ann.Stalnaker@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker)

Total Communication is several methods of communication...i.e., oralism,
speech reading, signing, etc.  To put it more clearly, using whatever
communication method that an HI person can understand.  There are quite
a few people who are skilled at all aspects of TC.  Also, it helps
to use two or more of the above in order to include everyone into a
conversation.  There can be several who only speak orally and lip read
with no signing skills and vice versa.

Hope this clarifies what TC means.  I'm making a very poor attempt
at explaining this as I'm still a bit groggy this AM.  Ah...too many
late hours on the CPU.  (grin)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: sometimes we win...
Written by: Ann.Stalnaker@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Stalnaker)

Pat, pardon my intrustion here but I'd like to share with you something
I was able to implement while operating a fax machine.  When I was
employed with AT&T, we often faxed work orders, equipment orders, etc.
from office to office within the USA.  Being hearing impaired, I couldn't
hear the beep or busy signal, so I thought..."Wonder if a TDD could
detect the beeps or the busy signal?"  Sure enough...it could!  So,
in order to fax messages or info, I would just take my TDD from my
desk up to the Fax machine and hook the Fax phone to it.  Worked wonders!
So often we may not be able to do things one way but there's always
another way around it to get the job done.

None of us should give up because we may not be able to do certain
things the way others do.  I've tried to tell others that nothing is
impossible.  Right, folks?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!385!14!Ann.Stalnaker
Internet: Ann.Stalnaker@f14.n385.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: TRAVELLING
Written by: PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org (PANDORA NIGH)

 Hi Jesse, maybe we need to call the local van conversion shops and tell
them that there is a need and someone will stock one in the area for rent. I
just talked to a guy in Cleveland and he told me that the idea never even
occured to him and he is going to think about it. To be truthful I hadn't
even thought about it. Even if he is only thinking about it now, at least
that is a start.
                      Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!532!PANDORA.NIGH
Internet: PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: Hearing
Written by: Laurie.Wilson@p0.f5.n119.z1.fidonet.org (Laurie Wilson)

 > Hi Laurie I don't mean to butt in on your conversation but
 > you use the term HI?  What does HI mean as I have never
 > heard of it before.  Any help would be much appreciated.
 >  Thanks in advance.

HI is "hearing impaired".  Funny, it is the term that I picked up
from Jack O'Keefe and Ann Stakner.  I had not heard of this "HI" either
but after seeing HI few times in their posts, I finally figured it
out!

Smile, Laurie

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!119!5.0!Laurie.Wilson
Internet: Laurie.Wilson@p0.f5.n119.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Information on using computers to help handicapped wanted.
Written by: Manuel.Ulloa@p14.f8.n343.z1.fidonet.org (Manuel Ulloa)

In an article of <31 Jan 90 03:04:01 GMT>, doherty@vax1.tcd.ie (Michael Doherty)
 writes:

 >My name is Michael Doherty and as the Assistant Director of the
 >Computer Laboratory in the University of Dublin, Trinity College, I
 >have a responsibility and an interest in helping handicapped
 >students. The main work here in TCD has been in setting up a
 >workstation for the use of blind students consisting of a PC clone,
 >a voice box and a braille workstation and appropriate software. I
 >have also used a product called MINDREADER to help a student who
 >has muscular co-ordination problems and finds typing difficult. I
 >would be interested in hearing of others experiences in this area.

I am not sure if you monitor this Fido echo, but if you do, I know of
someone with a problem very like the one you describe and would like
to be able to follow any progress you make on this area.

I would also like to know what is the MINDREADER.

Thanks for your help.

-Manuel

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!343!8.14!Manuel.Ulloa
Internet: Manuel.Ulloa@p14.f8.n343.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: brailler to pc interface question...
Written by: Manuel.Ulloa@p14.f8.n343.z1.fidonet.org (Manuel Ulloa)

I am interested in finding out if there is a way of entering braille
using a brailler (not a keyboard) directly to a pc in such a way
that it would emulate (to a reasonable degree) a std keyboard.

Thanks very much,
-Manuel

--

Subject: Re: Lip reading on TV.
Written by: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe)

 LW>  CBS, NBC, and ABC probably know my name by now
 LW>  because I have called and chewed them out pretty often. (grin)

Good for you, Laurie!  That's the only way we'll get them to care
about the quality of the product they are dumping on us.  It is a
good idea to complain to the sponsors also.  They are the ones who
are paying for a quality product and not getting it.

 LW> Like you say, the quality of CC is dubious at best. And it
 LW> sure needs more improvement!

NBC news captioning is terrible!  We see it at 6:30 (eastern) time.
Some have said they clean up their act a bit for the later broadcasts.
Is it still as sloppy when it gets to California?

Jack.

... I never listen!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: YOUR MESSAGE
Written by: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe)

 V*> Yes, I wish I could get the author of this system to make it
 V*> Baudot capable so that the non ascii capable TDD's could call
 V*> as well.

It's been estimated that over 85% of the TDDs in use today are BAUDOT
only, since TDDs predated the advent of ASCII.  And it will be years
and years before that changes significantly.  The blasted things last
too long, especially the old ones.  There are even a few KSR33 TTYs
still clattering away.

Good luck with your board, and keep trying to get SilentTalk.

All the best.

Jack.

... I never listen!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

------

Written by: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Jack O'keeffe)

 AS> I've never been able to wear aids and I doubt if I could adjust
 AS> to them now if I could.

I wear  BTE BiCROS aids Ann, and I despise the infernal things.  But
it would be difficult getting along without them.  I keep reading that
better technology (digital) is just around the corner, but it sure is
taking a long time to turn that corner :-)

 AS> I don't think I could even adjust to hearing sounds now if
 AS> surgery or even a cochlea implant would help.

I know three people who have gone for the cochlea implant.  Two had
near miraculous results and one was a flop.  It would take lots of
courage to do it.

 AS> A number of my hearing friends love my telecaption decoders.

I've experienced the same thing.  Many of them had never even heard
of captioned TV until they saw mine.  Do you have any fullscreen text
caption service in OK?  Other than ABCs program listings which are
everywhere, I suppose.  We have one text news service called PENNTEXT
which the UHF PBS channel carries.

Say, why are we doing this on disABLED?  We must be boring the hearing
people to tears on this echo.  Let's move to SilentTalk.

Jack.

... I never listen!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Jack.O'keeffe
Internet: Jack.O'keeffe@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: A NEW CANE
Written by: Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Vixen *)

Hi David,

Yes, I must say that, the "feedback" from the NFB long cane seems
to me, far superior, especially now that I have one the proper
length!

Also, as I was saying before, it does seem lighter on the wrist if
I am going to be walking around quite a bit. I really notice that
since I will only use the heavier aluminum canes when I use the
folding type.

I think what I am going to do is compromise. When I am going to be
mostly up and around, I will probably go with the NFB rigid
fiberglass cane and when I am going to be sitting down a great deal
and not moving around much, I will go with a folding cane. Besides,
having more than one cane will keep me ever so fashionable!

Keepin' the faith!

.                              Vixen

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!11!Vixen.*
Internet: Vixen.*@f11.n203.z1.fidonet.org

------

                                ******

             End of Issue # 1093 of the Handicap Digest

                                ******