[bit.listserv.l-hcap] Handicap Digest # 1118

wtm@decvax.dec.com (Bill McGarry) (02/28/90)

                          THE HANDICAP DIGEST

                               Issue # 1118

                     Wednesday, February 28, 1990

Today's Topics:

                                ******

                              Re: Can-Do
                        ARKENSTONE Special Deal
                              Re: Feldene
                         Re: deaf folks speak
                              Re: various
                            Re: help needed
                         ELECTRONIC SELF-HELP
                           Who's out there?
                         Wheelchair "wheelies"
                             introductions

                                ******

To subscribe to the Handicap Digest mailing list or have your
thoughts in the next issue, please send electronic mail to
Bill McGarry at any of the following addresses:

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm!bunker.uucp      l-hcap@vm1.nodak.edu
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
	    (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

                              Bill McGarry (Moderator)
                              (203) 337-1518

------

Subject: Re: Can-Do
Written by: PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org (PANDORA NIGH)

       Hi Ron, when you talk about reachers try and get a few different
models. I think that they are great also but I found that some types cause a
problem for people to use. I can use the regular reacher if I am trying to
pick up small objects from the floor but do not have the strength to use it
to grab something over my head. I got beaned a lot. I found that there are
different reachers that have different strength of hand requirements for
closing the reacher and there is also one that has a wrist and hand brace
attached that help give strength for lifting. Check with Fred Sammon's Inc.
to get the info on all the different types. It helps to know for people that
may have tried one without success that there is others out there that may
help. Also there are several different closing mechanisms. There is the
standard prong type closure , one designed like a gun trigger and even palm
cup activated.
     Another way to solve the problem of overhead reaching is the type of
wheel chair that one has. There a some models that have hydrolic lifts in
the seat that will raise your height to easy reach of upper shelves and some
that will stand you up with total support.
     Another device I came across for someone that is doing home remodeling
is the Liftshelf this is a storage retrieval system where at the push of a
button the whole shelf comes forward and down. The Liftshelf is $300 per
unit. It comes from Owens Design
                    2295 C.R. 292
                    Bellevue, OH 44811
                    (419) 483-4872

                                          Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!532!PANDORA.NIGH
Internet: PANDORA.NIGH@f532.n157.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: ARKENSTONE Special Deal
Written by: Curtis.Oglesby@p13.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Curtis Oglesby)

 PG> It was quite interesting to me that after I told you I agree with
 PG> you completely, another person here said that he had decided to buy
 PG> the ARKENSTONE under the special offer. So it served someone after
 PG> all! Oh well, live and learn. Perhaps guidelines in writing
 PG> promotions would be a good idea. Simply announcing the availability
 PG> without the hype would seem to be the way to go.

Well, I never commented on whether the Arkenstone was good or bad.
I don't know if it is or not, but that really wasn't the point.
Leaving out the hype was the point.

Curt

BTW, if it is a good product, then others should know about it.
Hopefully, those who have direct experience with it will give us
their opinion.  An unbiased opinion would be very helpful.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.13!Curtis.Oglesby
Internet: Curtis.Oglesby@p13.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: Feldene
Written by: Tandy.Way@f305.n141.z1.fidonet.org (Tandy Way)

one of my doctors tried feldeen on me a year ago and it was just like
taking a sugar pill no effect.
tandy

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!305!Tandy.Way
Internet: Tandy.Way@f305.n141.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: deaf folks speak
Written by: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Goltz)

I'll give you a longer answer later, but I wanted to comment on the ease
of learning sign language. I see sign language as harder for most hearing
folks to learn simply because it is very different from learning another
spoken language. Uses a different part of the brain, too, and totally
different skills. I am able to master signs fairly easily because I can
cross-link to the part of my brain that learns spoken and written
languages, but lots of people can't do that, and lots of people don't
have the experience with languages I do. I operate at a disadvantage
because there are virtually no books "written" in sign, and the primary
way I study a foreign language is to read with a dictionary. All other
methods require a lot more money, or contact with a warm body who knows
the language. Both are much harder for me to come by than books.
Consequently, my knowledge of sign is still very limited.
  Pat

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!3!Pat.Goltz
Internet: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: various
Written by: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Goltz)

Okay, so you told me what sip and puffs and headband pointers are used
for. But what ARE they? What do they look like, and how do they function?
  Pat

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!3!Pat.Goltz
Internet: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: help needed
Written by: Robert.Norstrand@f8.n10.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Norstrand)

William, I would take the coompany to court anyway.  How else are you
going to get equal rights for handicapped workers?  The legal system
may be uninformed about disabilities but there IS a federal law against
discrimination.  Good luck.

 # Origin: The Magic RBBS, Lakeland, FL (813) 688-8151 (1:137/600) (8:925/10)

--

------

Subject: ELECTRONIC SELF-HELP
Written by: Eric.Raimy@f41.n161.z1.fidonet.org (Eric Raimy)

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

I'm researching a newspaper article about self-help by modem,
which seems to be a rapidly growing phenomenon with the potential
to help a lot of people. To show readers what electronic self-
help can do, I need success stories. Has using a modem to share
feelings or obtain information made a big difference in your
life? Would you be willing to see your experience in print? If
so, please message me here, or phone me at 415-839-6114. Thanks!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!161!41!Eric.Raimy
Internet: Eric.Raimy@f41.n161.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Who's out there?
Written by: Stephen.Risik@f3101.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Stephen Risik)

[This is from the Chronic Pain Conference on Fidonet]

Are there any physicians specializing in chronic pain treatment
participating in this "echo"?

Steve (Chronic pain patient @ 10 years --- disc problems)

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!124!3101!Stephen.Risik
Internet: Stephen.Risik@f3101.n124.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Wheelchair "wheelies"
Written by: Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org (Michael Merrow)

 PG> I dunno. I wouldn't suggest trying to get around on the back two
 PG> wheels of your wheelchair. I won't let my kids tilt their chairs
 PG> back, and if I had one in a wheelchair, I wouldn't let him do
 PG> wheelies. Sounds dangerous to me. It takes as much skill as riding
 PG> a bicycle on the back wheel. I can't do that either.

Well Pat, I don't think it's quite the same thing as tilting a regular
chair back... and there are some real advantages to being able to get
around on two wheels... but I appreciate your concern. I have found out
from Steve VanDevender's response that there are people who have
practically got this down to a science.   :-)

Michael

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!Michael.Merrow
Internet: Michael.Merrow@hnews.fidonet.org

------

Subject: introductions
Written by: Larry.Lumpkin@f5.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Larry Lumpkin)

hello.  my name is larry lumpkin and i am located in austin, texas.  i
am a visually impaired pc user using soft vert and bad speech and i am
new to buletin board echos so be patient with me.  i am a main-frame
cobol programmer by prov  professioln and music is one of my favorite
hobbies.  i have had a fair amount of experience with adaptive
techonology and would be glad to ah==share what i know with others, and
to learn from others what i don't.  look forward to hearing from some
of you
larry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!5!Larry.Lumpkin
Internet: Larry.Lumpkin@f5.n382.z1.fidonet.org

------

                                ******

             End of Issue # 1118 of the Handicap Digest

                                ******