[bit.listserv.l-hcap] Handicap Digest # 1120

wtm@decvax.dec.com (Bill McGarry) (02/28/90)

                          THE HANDICAP DIGEST

                               Issue # 1120

                     Wednesday, February 28, 1990

Today's Topics:

                                ******

                              Re: Sermon
                    Re: Foreign Sign Language Books
                     Re: employment discrimination
                            Re: relocation
                         Wheelchair Batteries
                               TTY Specs
                              Re: Feldene
                                  MS

                                ******

To subscribe to the Handicap Digest mailing list or have your
thoughts in the next issue, please send electronic mail to
Bill McGarry at any of the following addresses:

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm!bunker.uucp      l-hcap@vm1.nodak.edu
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
Fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
	    (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064

                              Bill McGarry (Moderator)
                              (203) 337-1518

------

Subject: Re: Sermon
Written by: Barbara.Akin@f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Barbara Akin)

Hi Robert, I don't think he would deliberately put me in an unfavorable
light. Its just that I think that often sighted persons never stop to
even Think about what it would feel like to be constantly viewed as
disabled first, and a person second.
They have never been in that situation, and so they do much of what they
do out of total unawareness, or just plain ignorance.
However, I do agree whole heartedly with you that it is up to me to let
others know how I want to be seen----and I certainly Will!!!
I am now in the proccess of composing a letter I want my pastor to read
before he even finishes preparing the sermon.
Thank you for your support in this!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15!Barbara.Akin
Internet: Barbara.Akin@f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

------

Written by: Barbara.Akin@f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Barbara Akin)

Pat, those were my thoughts EXACTLY!!! Really, we are speaking about
spiritual trugths here, and I guess the only real benifit of myself being
up there being interviewed is that I will focus on the fact that Christ
ALWAYS saw the person first.
He did NOT see "the blind man" he saw the PERSON of that man! So, if THAT
truth gets across, then my being there will be of benefit. I plan to
state loud and clear, that  Christ always did, and Does look at people,
Not disabilities!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!114!15!Barbara.Akin
Internet: Barbara.Akin@f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: Foreign Sign Language Books
Written by: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Goltz)

While we are on the subject, can you supply information I could use to
get copies of the French sign language books you said you acquired?
  Pat

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!3!Pat.Goltz
Internet: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org

------

Subject: Re: employment discrimination
Written by: Pat.Goltz@f3.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Pat Goltz)

Your point is NOT worthless. If the firm he works for does ANY trading in
interstate commerce, then federal law would apply. In addition, there are
laws that apply to those who deal directly with the federal government.
There may be grievance procedures that will save the cost of a lawsuit,
and the suit would fail anyway if he doesn't exhaust those remedies
first.
  Pat

--

Subject: Re: relocation
Written by: Robert.Norstrand@f8.n10.z1.fidonet.org (Robert Norstrand)

CC> I never thought of it before - snow tires for wheelchairs?! Makes good
CC> sense. DO wheelchair users typically have more than one set of tires?
CC> Do you ever get flats? I've never noticed air valves - do you have to
CC> pump the tires to different pressures when carrying different weights?
CC>  * Origin: The Chief's Mess (Official Beta Test Site and HST WOW!)
CC> (1:202/114)

Chita, I don't know about separate pairs of tires, per sey, but I have
2 wheelchairs (1 powered and 1 manual).  The tires on the power-chair
are pneumatic (air-filled) and yes, I've had flats.  It's for this
reason (as well as others) that I have the manual chair.  If I get a
flat or something else goes wrong with the power-chair I can use the
manual chair.  I hate being stuck in one place and if I have a flat I
don't want to ruin the tire(s) by running on them.

 # Origin: The Magic RBBS, Lakeland, FL (813) 688-8151 (1:137/600) (8:925/10)

--

------

Subject: Wheelchair Batteries
Written by: edward@TWG.COM (Edward C. Bennett)

I find myself at the time of year when it's necessary to replace my
chair's batteries. Before I go to a WC dealer and plunk down lord-knows-
how-much for a pair "real" WC batteries I want to explore the alternatives.

For the past 11 years I've always used regular ol' lead-acid deep-cycle
wet batteries, they're fine except that they require semi-monthly inspection
of the water levels.

What about sealed "no maintenance" batteries? I've heard of people trying
these, how long do they last (on a "how far can you go on a charge" and
on a "months of service" basis)? What about the new gel cell batteries?
Anybody using these things?

What about dealers? Do people deal with a medical supply house or does
anyone go directly to a battery wholesaler?

Thanks in advance
--
Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252

------

Subject: TTY Specs
Written by: rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu (Richard Rbarth)

In Digest Issue #1117
   Stephen.White@p1.f853.n681.z3.fidonet.org (Stephen White)

writes:

   To: rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
   Via: 1:141/420

      I have finally gotten this book: written by Frederick Emmons Terman?
   Printed 1943. Appears to be the first edition. I cannot find any
   reference to Baudot. Could you give me the page numbers please? Thanks.

My own issue is somewhat later than 1943, and I don't think Terman is the
editor. Unfortunately the book is at the office and I'm not, so I can't
verify this.

Tell you what - send me your snailmail address and I'll Xerox the thing and
mail it to you.

   ------

-----------------------------
Richard Barth, W3HWN,  rbarth@tumtum.cs.umd.edu
Handicapped Educational Exchange... (301) 593-7033 (TDD & 300 baud ASCII)
                                    (301) 593-7357 (300/1200 baud, 8N1)

11523 Charlton Drive, Silver Spring MD 20902

------

Subject: Re: Feldene
Written by: era@ncar.ucar.edu (Ed Arnold)

In article <10401@bunker.UUCP> Orville.Bullitt@f36.n135.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 6960
>
> Does anyone on this echo have any experience with Fledene (c) by
>Pfizer pharmaceuticals? I have an L5-S1 spondololisthesis that was
>agrivated in an accident about 19 months ago. I've been on 20 mg of
>Feldene per day for about 10 days and it seems to be relieving the
>pain.

Not personal experience, but my father has been taking it for years
to help pain due to injuries to several discs.  A couple comments:

1) In *many* users, it damages the stomach lining and digestive
   tract after being used for a long (years) period of time.
   This is what has happened to my father.  His doc has tried to
   get him off of it for intermittent periods to let the stomach
   heal.  It can cause ulceration and digestive tract bleeding.
2) I asked a D.O. what he thought of the medication, esp in the
   case of someone like my father, who is over 65.  His response
   was that he would consider it *malpractice* for any doctor to
   prescribe Feldene without also requiring periodic
   liver and renal function tests, as it can be damaging to both
   liver and kidneys.  He feels the testing should be done for
   individuals in any age group, but more frequently for older persons.

Still, Feldene is, for some people, the MOST effective pain reliever
they can find.  My father has tried a number of pain relievers, but
it seems like he always comes back to Feldene because that's what works.
--
Ed Arnold * NCAR * POB 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000 * 303-497-1253(w)
era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * era@ncario.bitnet * era@ncar.uucp

------

Subject: MS
Written by: lee@smiley.mitre.org (Annabelle Lee)

Linda - there are many people on this net that have MS - myself
included.  What would you like to know???

Regards,

 - Annabelle Lee, phone: (703) 883-7105
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mc Lean, VA   22102
   Mail Stop Z268  (new mail stop)
   e-mail address: lee%smiley@gateway.mitre.org

------

                                ******

             End of Issue # 1120 of the Handicap Digest

                                ******