[net.space] Very Cheap Solar Cells

Hank.Walker%CMU-CS-UNH@sri-unix.UUCP (08/09/84)

The talk about the cells costing a tenth what silicon solar cells do must be
bunk.  Current module costs are maybe $5/W, so he is talking $0.50/W, or
$5/wafer.  The cost of silicon cells is primarily the crystalline silicon.
The cost of the antenna cells is the complex lithographic step.  Rectifiers
will probably have to be integrated onto the same wafer, so an alignment
problem is created, and it looks a lot like you're making an integrated
circuit.  Note that according to the article, a prototype won't be available
until next year, so the process must be rather difficult.

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (08/20/84)

< The robot doesn't seem too energetic since it got a tan >

Has anyone looked into organic solar collection?  Plants do a real
fine job of collecting and storing solar energy;  does anyone know
how efficient they are (not 100% by any means, since they are usually
sensitive in a fairly narrow bandwidth of yellow-green) ??

An organic compound engineered to translate sunlight into ATP and
another that turned ATP into electricity would be an interesting
way to power a car. . .

OK, I know, this is all just a bit beyond current state-of-the-art.
But not too far, I suspect.

Hutch

mcgeer%ucbchip%Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (08/22/84)

From:  Rick McGeer (on an aaa-60-s) <mcgeer%ucbchip@Berkeley>

	There's a short discussion of plant efficiencies in Pournelle's "A
Step Farther Out".  I loaned my copy out, so I don't have it with me, but as
I recall the figures he used were certainly under 10%, and (I'm pretty sure)
under 5%.  The great thing, though, is that we can probably use genetic
engineering to double plant efficiencies.  Plants also store energy well.

						Rick.

Woody.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (08/23/84)

> Has anyone looked into organic solar collection?  Plants do a real
> fine job of collecting and storing solar energy; does anyone know
> how efficient they are (not 100% by any means, since they are usually
> sensitive in a fairly narrow bandwidth of yellow-green) ??

Plants are around 15-20% (as far as my memory tells me; it's been a
long time since my biology), and no-one really has a definite idea
exactly how a plant manages to convert light to ATP.  There's a lot
of theories, but nothing really concrete.

Photosynthesis is a fairly complex chain of events which occure in
most plants, and some of the theories do suggest a sort of compound
which gain an electrical potential (which is then converted into
the chemical potential needed to convert ADP to ATP).  It may be
possible to create a process which converts this molecular electrical
potential into something useful, but that's many, many years off.
(Even if the electrical potential of P700 and related catalysts in
photosynthesis does exist, even if the chemical process can be
imitated, even if the efficiency of the plants can be achieved,
even...)

It's easier to burn alcohol.

  - From the scattered remains of
         Bill Woody

andy@istbt.UUCP (Andy Greener) (09/17/84)

[everyone else seems to be wary...]

hutch@shark.UUCP writes:
> Has anyone looked into organic solar collection?  Plants do a real
> fine job of collecting and storing solar energy;  does anyone know
> how efficient they are (not 100% by any means, since they are usually
> sensitive in a fairly narrow bandwidth of yellow-green) ??
>
> An organic compound engineered to translate sunlight into ATP and
> another that turned ATP into electricity would be an interesting
> way to power a car. . .

What colour are your plants in Oregon Hutch? Ours are green and yellow
because they DO NOT absorb green and yellow light. You must have an interesting
garden!

The majority of the spectrum is absorbed except those wavelengths around
550 nm (green), 600 nm and 640 nm (yellow). However the efficiency is not
great (I'm not sure of the exact figure).

Photosynthesis is a two-stage process; the light stage is the photo-chemical
reaction with sunlight that splits water and provides the free hydrogen
for the second (dark) stage to turn into carbohydrates. The first stage
produces ATP anyway to power the second stage (nature did the engineering
already!).

The light stage produces faster than the dark stage can cope with so periods
of darkness are actually beneficial to the process.

However, a problem with the utilisation of this process is its extreme
sensitivity to temperature and the fact that because enzymes are involved
any temperatures above about 40 Centigrade will kill it due to protein
denaturing.

	Andy Greener		Imperial Software Technology
				London, England

				...!vax135!ukc!qtlon!ist!andy
				...!vax135!ukc!qtlon!ist!istbt!andy