[bit.listserv.politics] Something That Hits Home...

ST501649@BROWNVM.BITNET (David Ascher) (02/07/90)

>From:         "Larry L. Stimely" <R3LLS@AKRONVM.BITNET>
>From The Truth At Last, Issue #338
>
>The motive is a pure hatred for White people because the students have little
>money. The offenders have NOT been students but local Providence residents
>who appear to hate the more prosperous looking White youths. Gregorian

Don't you see a problem in this sentence: "The students hav little money"
right next to "prosperous looking youths"?

>said, "This is more dangerous than the attacks of last Spring, because weapons
>and knives are being used. Black students should not be upset if campus police
>ask for identification. We have anxious parents and a student body that is
>on edge!"
My my, they might even lower their donations, since their children's bubble
isn't as airtight as they hoped...

>Jamie, Sasha, et al: any comments?
>
>R3LLS@AKRONVM

I will not reply for Sasha, Jamie, Laura, or *anyone else*.  My 2 cents:

1.  For all of those out there who didn't have the wonderful occasion
    of a conversation with Larry about his previous posting "against
    interracial marriages", the Truth at last was the source of that
    article.  Just a little piece of info that may give some insight
    into the point of view of the writer.

2.  Saying that the attacks that occured on campus were motivated by
    race only and not by class is utterly ridiculous.  Compare the
    average $ worth/income/posessions of Brown students and of local
    residents, and a ratio greater than 20, wouldn't surprise me.  Even
    more to the point, it is obvious to anyone living here that Ivy League
    students *must* have a different class makeup ON AVERAGE than Fox
    Point residents.  Come on, Larry, this is a ridiculous claim.

3.  Fact is, Providence is a city.  Granted, it's not NYC.  Nevertheless,
    there are racial and class problems.  There is crime, there is
    violence.  There are homeless people.  There are drugs.  So?
    It's the same where you are.  If you don't see it, chances are you're
    just shielding your eyes right.

The attacks on the Brown campus were probably caused by a very limited
group of individuals.  I don't know their reasons.  But I don't see what
the media (in this case "Truth at last" [sic]) finds so appealing in this
case.  Violence at Columbia must be quite frequent.  People don't talk
about it, because "Of course, it's New York City".

What were you trying to say, Larry?

--david

PH408014@BROWNVM.BITNET (Tim Johnson) (02/08/90)

[stuff about blacks attacking whites, and class differences deleted]

>What were you trying to say, Larry?
>
>--david

  Not to speak for Larry, but it seems that what he was trying
to say was what you expressed ever so well.  Whenever there is
an attack on black students by white students, it is labelled
as racially motivated without a second thought.  However, when
we find blacks attacking whites, instead we try to hide the fact
that race could have been an issue.  We are uncomfortable accusing
blacks of racism.
  As to class differences and Fox Point; you should be aware that
there is a very large Portugese community in Fox Point.  They share
with the blacks the same class distinctions.  Yet the rash of attacks
we are experiencing are black against white and not portugese against
white.
  Finally, there are many poor whites in this city.  And there are
many financially well off blacks at Brown University.  The same class
distinction.  Yet, when black students are attacked by whites, we are
eager as a university to stand up for these victims of racism.
  Why are you so uncomfortable with the thoughts of whites as the
victims of racist attacks.  Why are you so eager to explain (if not
excuse) the black attackers.  Would you voice the same doubts about
the racial vs. class motivations if the races were reversed.
  I think that this is what Larry is trying to say.  I think
these are legitimate questions.  Particularly as you have done him
the favor and given the response he was looking for.

                                    -Tim