[net.space] Electromagnetic mass drivers

knudsen@ihnss.UUCP (11/09/84)

<meteorite dust>

Subject: Re: Sixty Cents a Pound?

The main restrictions on electromagnetic mass drivers are:
(1) the object must contain quite a bit of iron (of course)
(2) you really should launch above/outside/without an atmosphere.
On Earth, the projectile would have to survive 3+ miles of our air, much more
if not launched straight up, and EXIT our air at escape velocity,
meaning a tremendous initial velocity.  Aside from the ablative heat shielding
required (which you have to accelerate along with the rest of the load, even
tho it never leaves our planet), the G forces of DEceleration encountered
after leaving the electro-gun would be almost as bad as the acceleration
inside the launcher.  Of course, if the object is all iron, the parts are
accelerated evenly and little stress occurs during acceleration.

Anyway, most advocates of mass drivers are talking about installations
on the Moon, asteroids, L5 space colonies, etc.
A GOOD possibility: a mass driver in low earth orbit, to shoot things up
to geo-synch, to moon, Mars, ....    mike k

> The main restrictions on electromagnetic mass drivers are:
> (1) the object must contain quite a bit of iron (of course)

You are thinking of induction motors, which are essentially obsolete
as electromagnetic accelerators.  Nowadays the favored accelerator
technology is the linear synchronous motor, which requires magnetic
coils on the accelerated object.

And by the way, a "mass driver" is a specific type of accelerator in
which the payload is carried by a bucket for acceleration, and the
bucket is then decelerated for re-use while the payload continues on.
This permits accelerating small payloads without throwing away a costly
magnetic-coil system for every payload.

"Mass driver" is **NOT** a generic synonym for "electromagnetic catapult".
Electromagnetic catapults have been around for quite a while.  The mass
driver, with its recirculating buckets, was invented by a specific man:
Gerard O'Neill.  He could have patented it, and perhaps should have.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

ems@amdahl.UUCP (Edward Michael Smith) (11/12/84)

> The main restrictions on electromagnetic mass drivers are:
> (1) the object must contain quite a bit of iron (of course)

I thought that only the mass driver bucket had to be metalic
and that one could use induced electromagnetic force to create
a magnetic field in the bucket.  No need for iron...  Was I
mistaken?  I remember a demonstration from high school physics
where a coil induced a magnetic field in an iron rod.  Aluminum
rings stacked on the iron rod would head for the ceiling.
Required a fluctuating magnetic field though.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of anyone.
(How can a company have an opinion, anyway...)