[bit.listserv.disarm-l] definition of cognitive dissonance

ANTHRO@TRIUMFER.BITNET (02/04/90)

>I'm certain that's a terrible thing, but I'm not exactly
>sure what it means.

The definition can get long winded, especially when people start giving
examples of types, or start sketching it out as set theory, but essentially
it means believing something is both True and False at the same time.

Dave

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/06/90)

Dave Cunningham writes (Sat, 3 Feb 90 16:27:00 PST):
>The definition can get long winded, especially when people start giving
>examples of types, or start sketching it out as set theory, but essentially
>it means believing something is both True and False at the same time.
>Dave
There is at least one counter-example: quantum physics. It is both True
and False that a quantum object is a wave, both True and False that it
is a corpuscle.
(This was a joke! Nothing to do with the current discussion).
                                                 Jean-Pierre Pharabod