[bit.listserv.disarm-l] un-American

LABBEY@GTRI01.BITNET (Leonard Abbey) (02/06/90)

Yes, it is un-American to be Marxist.  It is also un-humane.

           -, /|
            O.O
          =(___)=

      My cat, Quincy.
     He is a Marxist.

Leonard Abbey
Georgia Tech
Research Institute
labbey@gtri01.gatech.edu

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/06/90)

Leonard Abbey writes (Fri, 2 Feb 90 14:23:46 EST):
>Jean-Pierre, "Americanism" is a set of moral and social values which you
>would probably not understand.  The closest I can come to explaining it
>to you is to tell you to watch a few John Wayne movies.
Though I like most of John Wayne's movies, I definitely prefer the
Marx Brothers' ones. In fact, they are, by far, my favorite actors
(especially Harpo). Is it un-American to be Marxist?
                                                     Jean-Pierre Pharabod

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (Dimitri Vulis) (02/06/90)

I hate to disagree with you, Jean-Pierre, but my recollection is that
he claimed that Adlof Hitler was the kaiser of the 2nd reich and started
WWI.

"Allah is my shepherd."
DV

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/07/90)

In answer to Leonard Abbey (Mon, 5 Feb 90 15:38:07 EST):
Well, Len, in a posting of November 89 you already confused Adolf Hitler
and Austria Hungary. Do you believe that Karl Marx was one of the Marx
Brothers?
As for me, I am definitively Harpo-Marxist, and I am not sure that John
Wayne had more brain than Quincy.
                                                Jean-Pierre Pharabod

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/08/90)

Leonard Abbey writes (Wed, 7 Feb 90 09:39:43 EST):
>I was quite serious in my suggestion that the movies of John Wayne
>exemplify Americanism.  Fairness, respect for others and integrity are
>central aspects of Americanism, and I think that John Wayne tried to
>project these qualities in his movie roles.
Len, I must apologize for having been so sarcastic with you in my last
postings. I thought you were really wicked, and now I understand that
you just live in an imaginary world. Reality is different. Seen by the
Chinese students or the Central American peasants, the US don't look
at all like this ideal John Wayne, but like the bad guy John fighted
in his movies. And the US are un-American.
                                                   Jean-Pierre Pharabod

LABBEY@GTRI01.BITNET (Leonard Abbey) (02/09/90)

But the French love us, don't they?

After all, we pulled their neck out of the wringer twice in the past
75 years.

I think that my world is more real than yours.

Leonard Abbey
Georgia Tech
Research Institute
labbey@gtri01.gatech.edu

LABBEY@GTRI01.BITNET (Leonard Abbey) (02/09/90)

I just realized that your latest posting implies that the US has somehow
let the Chinese students down.  How is this?  We send them to school,
have guaranteed them physical safety, assured them of the rights which
they will never have in their homeland, and we give them money to gripe
and whine on TV while guzzling beer.

How is this to be construed as letting them down?

Leonard Abbey
Georgia Tech
Research Institute
labbey@gtri01.gatech.edu

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (Dimitri Vulis) (02/09/90)

Yeah. There's a whole bunch of these Chinese students in our math department (I
should rather say PRC students, because Taiwanese and HK students are OK, like
any other foreign students). These PRC students are invariably the kids of some
Communist officials who got sent here not because they know some math and have
the potential to learn more (never the case) but because of their family
connections. First they would get all the scholarship $$$ so there wouldn't be
enough left for better qualified US citizens; now it stopped.

They don't do anything math-wise, they refuse to learn English, just party and
insult everyone (and they have the nerve to defend their cannibalistic regime).
They have no chance of graduating. I say it's time for these guys to go home.

Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
City University of New York Graduate Center

Internet: DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
BITNET: DLV@CUNYVMS1
UUCP: ((rutgers,gatech)!psuvax1,mcsun,unido)!cunyvms1.bitnet!dlv
Does not work: DLV@CUNYVMS1.GC.CUNY.EDU
*PLEASE DO NOT USE THE LAST ADDRESS, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT THE RFC822 HEADER OR
SMTP MAY SAY: IT'S A BIT BUCKET, MAIL SENT TO THIS ADDRESS IS LOST.

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/10/90)

Leonard Abbey writes (Thu, 8 Feb 90 11:44:53 EST):
>I just realized that your latest posting implies that the US has somehow
>let the Chinese students down.  How is this?  We send them to school,
>have guaranteed them physical safety, assured them of the rights which
>they will never have in their homeland, and we give them money to gripe
>and whine on TV while guzzling beer.
>How is this to be construed as letting them down?
>Leonard Abbey